Origin can't install game, getting error with code -2147024894

by gamer_in_need

Original Post

Origin can't install game, getting error with code -2147024894

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey, I'm having some serious issues trying to install Dead Space through Origin. I initially ran into the directx error which there were fixes for already and managed to get that to work. But after I resolved the directx error I ended up getting an error "Error: The VC++ runtime redistributable package was not installed successfully. Setup cannot continue. (-2147024894)".

There seemed to be some answers for dealing with this but they did not work for me. In the Dead Space folder that's downloaded in the Origin Games folder, I navigated to __installer >> vc, and from there, there are two folders, "vc2005sp1", and "vc2013".

When I went to install, I checked the log file and the following showed up:
14:09:19 Launching process:
Command: "S:\Origin Games\Dead Space\__Installer\vc\vc2005sp1\redist\vcredist_x86.exe" /q:a /c:"VCREDI~3.EXE /q:a /c:""msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qn"" "
Working directory: S:\Origin Games\Dead Space\__Installer\vc\vc2005sp1\redist\
14:09:19 Process exited with exit code -2147024894.
14:09:19 Error installing x86 VC runtime.
14:09:24 Installer finished with exit code: 1
14:09:24 Shutting down data reader.

So through this error log, it seems that the issue is with the vcredist_x86.exe file in the "vc2005sp1" folder. I tried running the vcredist_x86.exe file and it ended up giving me another error. So I downloaded a fresh vcredist_x86.exe from microsoft's website for visual studio 2005 sp1, and I replaced the executable in the "vc2005sp1" folder with the new one I downloaded.

I ran the new executable file (vcredist_x86.exe) and now it worked without errors.

I also tested running the command that had issues in the log file ("S:\Origin Games\Dead Space\__Installer\vc\vc2005sp1\redist\vcredist_x86.exe" /q:a /c:"VCREDI~3.EXE /q:a /c:""msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qn"" ") from the command prompt and it didn't return any errors. However, when I go to install the game in Origin, I still end up with the error "Error: The VC++ runtime redistributable package was not installed successfully. Setup cannot continue. (-2147024894)", and I get the same result in the log file.

So if anyone could help me find a fix for this, it would be much appreciated, I've spent hours trying to get this to work with no success.

SOLUTION:
So after messing around for a while, I managed to fix the issue and I will outline the fix here in case if anyone else in the future might have a similar issue.

To fix the problem, I kept the original vcredist_x86.exe that was in the "vc2005sp1" folder.

I right clicked on the "This PC" icon on my desktop, if you don't have the icon, just go to settings > personalization > themes >  Desktop Icon Settings, and from there you can enable the "This PC" icon. Once you right click on it, click "properties", then "Advanced System Settings", then "Environment Variables", and then change the path of the TEMP and TMP environment variables to both be "C:\Temp". After this you can run the vcredist_x86.exe file in the "vc2005sp1" folder and it should now run without issues, and you should be able to install the game from Origin.

Message 1 of 3 (561 Views)

Re: Origin can't install game, getting error with code -2147024894

★★★ Newbie
@gamer_in_need thank you so much man, you're the only one that gave the right solution!! Well done!
Message 2 of 3 (246 Views)

Re: Origin can't install game, getting error with code -2147024894

Community Manager

@gamer_in_need Great info. Before you change the file path to temp, did you straight up just dump the temp folder, or clean out the registry and all temp files? I like the work around so I am curious about what other steps didn't work

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 3 of 3 (209 Views)