Re: Origin Won't Install

by ColeHardTruth

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Won't Install

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I recently installed a new copy of Windows 10 Pro on my PC (the old install got botched somehow, etc.) and so far everything is going smoothly except when I try to reinstall Origin. Downloading the OriginThinSetup.exe from the Origin main homepage succeeds, but when I try to install it, an origin browser window opens and displays a loading circular icon for a few seconds (see attached file "Capture1.PNG") which then disappears. The window remains blank indefinitely and uses absolutely no processing power after that (see attached file "Capture.PNG").

Any ideas for how I can fix this? I've been racking my brain for a couple hours trying to figure this out myself and have come up with nothing. Please help!

Message 1 of 29 (31,307 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I actually just solved it myself. I don't know what the problem was, but it was clear that origin's "web-browser style install" interface wasn't working. I remembered though that years ago when I originally installed origin it wasn't like that, it was a more old-style "wizard" interface. So I manually removed what I had of origin (%APPDATA% and Program Files/) and I installed an old version (admin edit: link removed - never download Origin from a non-official source), which installed correctly, and then updated itself, leaving me with a working product!

Thanks for the help though! I still appreciate it! Standard smile

View in thread

Message 3 of 29 (34,308 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Expert

First make sure Windows and your graphics drivers are fully up to date. If you need help checking that please post your DXDIAG report.

Next make sure you are not using a proxy. Go to Control Panel (Search the start menu for it if you need to.) Network and Internet > Internet Options > Connections tab > LAN Settings button Uncheck Use Proxy server for your LAN near the bottom, click Okay, click Okay again to get the Options windows closed.

Now Locate OriginThinSetup.exe and run it as Administrator

Message 2 of 29 (31,109 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I actually just solved it myself. I don't know what the problem was, but it was clear that origin's "web-browser style install" interface wasn't working. I remembered though that years ago when I originally installed origin it wasn't like that, it was a more old-style "wizard" interface. So I manually removed what I had of origin (%APPDATA% and Program Files/) and I installed an old version (admin edit: link removed - never download Origin from a non-official source), which installed correctly, and then updated itself, leaving me with a working product!

Thanks for the help though! I still appreciate it! Standard smile

Message 3 of 29 (34,309 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You my friend, are a god amongst men.

I have had this problem for 2 weeks! Origin wouldn't go online so did some troubleshooting thought - oh well I'll do a clean install.   Had the same problem been on help chats with EA who sent me round the houses (I had to re-open the case 3 times) because all of the usual troubleshooting wouldn't work (anti virus, firewalls, updates on windows, cc cleaners, clean boots, safemode with networking restarts the works)  - the case is still open! I'm waiting for "a technician" to get back in touch with me because obviously it's a problem with me and not their software!!

Thank you so much Standard smile

Message 4 of 29 (30,678 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

No problem! Just glad I could help Standard smile

Message 5 of 29 (30,640 Views)

★★★ Newbie

If you ever find the answer, let me know because mine's doing the same thing.

Message 6 of 29 (29,956 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I did, actually! Read my first comment to the OP, I explained my process. (I used oldversion.com to download an old verison of Origin, it looks like the Admins don't like links here :\)

Message 7 of 29 (29,949 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yep, this solved my issue. The indy install they distribute has some kind of conflict.  I had this issue for some time, and managed to get rid of it over 3 days of slaving. Then out of the blue my wife had this same issue.  Three days later (after sifting through other posts by the OP) I applied the above solution from an OLD  filehippo copy and low and behold. BOOM Fresh working copy of Origin.  Thank you for your submission, and SHAME the moderators for directing everyone to a nonworking copy, and leaving SO MANY people in this boat.  I think this sort of cheapness has a direct line for karma when it comes down to sales. 

Message 8 of 29 (29,655 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Had the same issue- white box and nothing. Built a new computer, went to install Origin, and same thing happened. Fortunately, I had a copy of an old installer on my backup HDD. Worked!

Message 9 of 29 (29,330 Views)

★ Novice

So far, is there any soulution for those of us who do not have old backups of the game? 

Message 10 of 29 (28,351 Views)