Re: Origin (Mac) update changing permissions and owner of root / directory

by EA_Nils

Original Post

Origin (Mac) update changing permissions and owner of root / directory

★★ Novice

Greetings,

I noticed recently that the root directory (i.e., "/") on my Mac OS X system was no longer owned by root:wheel but was instead owned by my user account. Also, the permissions had been changed from 755 (rwxr-xr-x) to 777 (rwxrwxrwx). I was able to track down when the change occurred and it was when I had installed a new copy of Origin (and DA2).

I then decided to install Origin on a clean copy of OS X. The changes occurred again when running Origin for the first time and letting it update itself from 9.5.10.763 to 9.6.1.5336. In addition to the / directory ownership and permissions being changed, the permissions of the Origin.app itself and many of the files and directories within the Origin.app package were also set to 777 (rwxrwxrwx). For what it's worth, the DragonAge 2 app was also set to 777 (rwxrwxrwx) when it got installed. It may be that that the ownership and permissions are actually getting set when Origin is installing the helper tool but I'm not sure.

Is this expected behavior? Is it just me? This is on Yosemite and Mavericks. I haven't tried it on El Capitan beta. 

Message 1 of 4 (800 Views)

Community Manager

@Ackmo Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed report of your observation. This is not expected behavior and the Origin team has been able to confirm this as a bug and will work towards a resolution.

Please stay tuned for updates regarding this in future patch notes.

Thanks again,

Nils

Message 2 of 4 (772 Views)

★★★ Novice

This problem remains unsolved in the latest Origin release.

Message 3 of 4 (656 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This issue is still not fixed, almost four years later. And since it took more than 24 hours for me to discover this, they won't give me a refund. Well, at least I have learned to not ever buy anything from Origins (or EA) ever again.

Message 4 of 4 (575 Views)