Origin Error Code 9:0, cant uninstall or delete files

by JayBiggsGaming

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Error Code 9:0, cant uninstall or delete files

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I had my usual error code 10:0 when Origin did its update today 3/13/2017. So I did what I always do which is download the installer for the latest version myself and install it over the now broken-and-wont-launch Origin. Usually that fixes it. Not so today.

Now I get error code 9:0 when trying to install Origin. If I try to uninstall Origin, it tells me the uninstall exe is missing. If I delete the Origin folder, everything but Origin.exe, OriginClientService.exe, and OriginThinSetupInternal.exe are removed. Those files cannot be deleted, renamed, or moved. What in the world...

UPDATE:

Uhh...I deleted many of the files that I was allowed to in the ProgramData\Origin folders but saw there was a complete Origin install in there that I couldn't delete (SelfUpdate\Staged). I tried running the Origin.exe that was there and it loaded Origin fine. No issues. Then I figured out I could shift-delete those 3 files above in the proper Origin folder in ProgramFiles(x86). Then I ran the installer I downloaded again and it just loaded Origin, no installation took place. I figured out it was now just running the Origin.exe in ProgramData. Huh. So now those 3 files are back in ProgramFiles(x86) and nothing else. I updated my Origin shortcut to run the ProgramData exe and that is it. All is working now. Strange.

Was the ProgramFiles(x86)\Origin stuff un-needed? Why was Origin installed twice on my system? We will never know.

Message 1 of 3 (1,578 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin Error Code 9:0, cant uninstall or delete files

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Well Origin decided to update again which always means it breaks my ability to run it. This time the Origin.exe I was running in the C:\ProgramData\Origin\SelfUpdate\Staged folder will not work anymore after the update. The executable says it is 0kb.

I just downloaded the installer from the EA website and tried installing it that way. It asked me if I wanted to update Origin and I let it try. It gave me error code 7:0. I quit and ran it again and it did a proper install. That fixed it.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,854 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Well Origin decided to update again which always means it breaks my ability to run it. This time the Origin.exe I was running in the C:\ProgramData\Origin\SelfUpdate\Staged folder will not work anymore after the update. The executable says it is 0kb.

I just downloaded the installer from the EA website and tried installing it that way. It asked me if I wanted to update Origin and I let it try. It gave me error code 7:0. I quit and ran it again and it did a proper install. That fixed it.

Message 2 of 3 (1,855 Views)

Community Manager

@JayBiggsGaming

Thanks for posting the steps that finally fixed this for you.

barry.png
Message 3 of 3 (1,522 Views)