Re: (Origin) Downloads losing progress / going backwards

by EA_Kristi

Original Post

Accepted Solution

(Origin) Downloads losing progress / going backwards

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I've been attempting to re-download DAI for the past week or so.... I did not have these issues the first time. I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition...

The Problem: The download goes extremely slow (as expected, I don't have a great connection out here) but every now and then, the progress will drop and lose a huge chunk of previously download memory, losing as much as 6%... 6% takes a long time for me, so you understand how crippling this is. I've been keeping track of progress for the past few days on Notepad:

16.20/24.01 67% 8:49 PM Jan 3
16.34/24.01 68% 9:18 PM Jan 3
19.25/24.01 80% 8:10 AM Jan 4
19.31/24.01 80% 8:30 AM Jan 4 (Decreased from 19.35)
19.41/24.01 80% 8:49 AM Jan 4
19.45/24.01 81% 8:57 AM Jan 4 (Didn't update to 81% immediately. Time remaining: approx. 13 hours)
19.52/24.01 81% 9:10 AM Jan 4
19.67/24.01 81% 9:45 AM Jan 4 (1000KB=1MB, 1000MB=1GB) (0.01GB=10MB=10,000KB)
19.74/24.01 82% 12:23 PM Jan 4
19.81/24.01 82% 5:54 PM Jan 4 (Time Remaining: 12:00 @ 101kp/second)
19.94/24.01 83% 6:22 PM Jan 4
20.17/24.01 84% 7:05 PM Jan 4
19.42/24.01 80% 8:47 PM Jan 4
21.58/24.01 89% 8:47 AM Jan 5
21.62/24.01 90% 9:01 AM Jan 5
22.04/24.01 91% 10:38 AM Jan 5 (5:20 @ 100/second)
22.14/24.01 92% 11:06 AM Jan 5
22.34/24.01 93% 11:44 AM Jan 5
22.04/24.01 91% 1:15 PM Jan 5 (Was at 88%, paused then restarted = jump to 91%) this happened again at 3:16 PM after dropping to 88%
22.13/24.01 92% 1:33 PM Jan 5 (Turned on safe mode for "slower but more reliable downloads" did not help)

As you can see, progress is slow. On Jan 4, it made no progress. Letting it run overnight is the only time it seems to make any progress.... If anyone from EA deigns to help an extremely dissatisfied customer: I've already downloaded the most recent version of Origins, I am not suffering from power outages/shutting off my computer, and I have the "Update to the Beta Version when available" box checked... Nothing so far has helped. I'm seriously frustrated. Can anyone help?

I can't even reply because when I do, I get "an unexpected error has occurred!"... Even this website doesn't work. Anyway EA_Krisi, as I said at the end of my notepad log: I tried safe mode, the problem peristed. I'll turn it on again though...

Message 1 of 39 (29,810 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@smaea

Hi,

The ports Origin uses can be find below:

• TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 3216; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
  • UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900

Note that if you just turn your router's firewall off that you probably won't have to do further troubleshooting. I would test that first since it can be unsafe when opening additional ports for a PC system.

I think you should be good to go now. But let me know if you have any further questions.. Standard smile

View in thread

Message 20 of 39 (27,670 Views)

All Replies

EA Staff

If you have the latest Beta client installed, could you please enable Safe mode Downloading? You can do this in Application Settings (top left Origin menu) - Advanced.

Message 2 of 39 (29,637 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply. But as I said at the end of my notepad, I've already tried safe mode: The problem persisted, I still continued to lose data.

In fact, I just got up this morning to see if the download could complete (It was at 93% when I went to sleep) and awoke to find it at 88%... For the third time. I'll turn safe mode on again anyway.

Message 3 of 39 (29,620 Views)

EA Staff

Could you please try rebooting your computer in Safe mode with Networking and then try the download while Origin safe mode downloading is enabled?

Message 4 of 39 (29,610 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hmmm to keep this mostly clean (because apparently EA is too cheap to hire enough competent employees).  EA has draconian methods for distributing its content electronically and I think its hurting its business a little.  I have the same problems of DA:I download regressing.  I havent tried the safe mode downloading as this is the first of like 10 threads I have read that suggests such, and I just found the option earlier today.

Requiring certain people to have to try Windows Safe mode with Networking and Safe Mode downloading in the Origin client is a HUGE indicator there is something WRONG with either the Origin Client or the servers that contain the data.  I have bought and downloaded games from Steam, almost 150, the original Direct 2 Drive, re downloaded a game from the new owners of Direct 2 Drive, Gamersgate, GoG, Stardock (impulse), Uplay (gasp!) and have NEVER, not even once, experienced the problems I am having with EAs Origin client downloading DA:I.  Oh I have previously purchased games electronically using the old EADM and patches with the current Origin Client.

PS. I found the Clientlog recently and apparently it seems the download is, at times, getting corrupted which is what occurs when the percentage goes backwards.  The Origin client downloads part of the game, runs a CRC check on said data and if it doesnt match throws the data out and has to redownload it.  It appears some of the files it downloads are 1 gig in size then runs the CRC check.  Ermm if EA were to distribute the files in smaller chunks, run the CRC, then put the files together after x number of parts passed CRC it wouldnt take a week, I am at 5 days atm with 50% downloaded, to download the game as I have around 28 hours of no progress at all.

I attempted to take the files I have downloaded over to a relatives house that has a more stable connection, and slightly faster, than I but it refuses to install because i forgot it required a 64 bit OS to RUN.  Wish I could have downloaded it there and THEN run it on MY 64 bit OS here.

To bad the alternative I thought of is illegal, using a torrent client to receive the files as they are divided into MUCH MUCH smaller chunks and hence less susceptible to large scale corruption, because torrent clients only download if they are allowed to upload and that would be copyright infringement because I do not have the right to share such data. Yes i paid for a license to the Digital Edition and the DLC so technically I would have rights to receive the files, just not share them.

Torrent clients are NOT illegal as there is MUCH legal data that is shared through torrents.  The free Black Mesa remake is available as a torrent (which i enjoyed immensely), the King James Bible is available through torrents.  Those are only 2 examples but there are others out there.

Message 5 of 39 (29,431 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi

I am also having the same issue with Battlefield Hardlines at the moment.

I have turned my firewall off and virus check put it in safe mode in the software and clicked on use Beta version of Origin.

I have copy and pasted the folder out and back in again plus made sure the directory has all the admin rights.
I still get to around 49% and then goes back to 42% after 3-4 days of trying i am not sure what else to try.

Does anyone know what else i can try to get this to fully complete the download ?

Ben

Message 6 of 39 (29,382 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@BenjyBunnyUK Hi Ben,

First off, make sure that you are running the Origin Client as administrator, so that it has sufficient rights to create folders and write files on your system partition: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

Please check out this article here afterwards. We have had reports of downloads reverting when the file system for the partition is set to FAT32. This is due to a limitation, files larger than 4GB cannot be written. Read more about that here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/origin-download-stops/

If that isn't the issue, please try to download the game using Safe Mode Downloading. You can activate that by going to Origin > Application Settings > Advanced > Safe Mode Downloading

Let me know how you get on afterwards.

Thank you,

Nils

Message 7 of 39 (29,375 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I just lost 69% of my download which took me all weekend. Thanks EA.
Message 8 of 39 (28,542 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Nils wrote:

@BenjyBunnyUK Hi Ben,

First off, make sure that you are running the Origin Client as administrator, so that it has sufficient rights to create folders and write files on your system partition: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

Please check out this article here afterwards. We have had reports of downloads reverting when the file system for the partition is set to FAT32. This is due to a limitation, files larger than 4GB cannot be written. Read more about that here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/origin-download-stops/

If that isn't the issue, please try to download the game using Safe Mode Downloading. You can activate that by going to Origin > Application Settings > Advanced > Safe Mode Downloading

Let me know how you get on afterwards.

Thank you,

Nils

Having this exact issue with Battlefield Hardline. Will do as above and post the result later

Message 9 of 39 (27,515 Views)

Community Manager

@smaea Thanks, keep me posted.

Message 10 of 39 (27,489 Views)