Origin Download Speeds - All over the Spectrum

by NineCoronas2021

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Download Speeds - All over the Spectrum

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have googled this extensively, and found threads from about 2014 detailing this issue. I have tried: flushing my DNS, uninstalling/reinstalling Origin, running Origin in R&D mode, pausing/resuming download 1,001 times, clean booting my Windows 7 OS, downloading in 'Safe Mode' (lol), and the rest of the cookie-cutter copy/paste 'solutions' offered in these old threads, and every possible combination thereof. My Dragon Age: Inquisition download, in any given thirty minutes period, spends about 2 minutes at 1.3 MB/s, 4 at 500 - 700kb/s, and the rest at 0 b/s. I saw it jump to 4.5 MB/s for about three seconds, once. I have no active Firewall of AV software.

My hope is that in the years since these threads were posted, new solutions may have been found.

Message 1 of 6 (670 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin Download Speeds - All over the Spectrum

★★★ Novice

Update: I tried all offered solutions and none worked. Throttling made little sense as all other computers on our home network downloaded at normal speeds. I then noticed that this 'slow downloading' was also browser downloads (steam was still okay though, confusing).

I had installed two new ram modules a few days ago; removing them also spelled the end of my download speed woes. While I think it's VERY strange that the only effect of a bad ram module was a slowing of download speeds, I'm pretty thankful to have found the cause.

Cheers.

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (637 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

@NineCoronas2021

Hi,

Since you've tried most other steps I would like to try one other thing. Before you do so, make sure that Origin is not in R&D mode anymore and that you are on the original download server.

First, disconnect and turn off all devices on your network: laptops, mobile devices, consoles, kindles etc. Now turn off your system and unplug your router for about two minutes before plugging it in again. Restart your system and try the download with nothing else on your network to see if that improves the connection.

If the download remains slow then I would recommend to contact your ISP as there have been actual reports where downloads have been throttled from their side.

Message 2 of 6 (659 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Thank you, I'll give that a shot soon.
There is one old solution I've yet to try that I've seen mentioned, because I was unable to find sufficient instructions on how to do so. How does one go about 'opening a port' on a router for an application?

EDIT: I suppose it would be prudent to mention that I've used an internet 'throttle test' that told me my average download speed should be about 4 MB/s; Steam downloads, right now, at about 2 MB/s.

Are ISPs capable of throttling connections to specific applications/servers? (Could they single out Origin over Steam)?

Message 3 of 6 (654 Views)

EA DICE Team

@NineCoronas2021

Hi,

Your ISP is in fact capable of reducing download speeds for certain applications. I have seen examples of Origin being singled out over Steam. If you reach out to your ISP then they will be able to check that for you.

When you contact them, you could also ask them to help you with port forwarding. Mostly this would mean that you turn on UPNP on your router. it is also important that you turn of your firewall there.

Generally speaking you would not have to port forward when playing on a PC system--the reason behind this is that this is considered unsafe when compared to a console. We do have an article available that details how to open ports on your firewall on your system.

Message 4 of 6 (615 Views)

★★★ Novice

Update: I tried all offered solutions and none worked. Throttling made little sense as all other computers on our home network downloaded at normal speeds. I then noticed that this 'slow downloading' was also browser downloads (steam was still okay though, confusing).

I had installed two new ram modules a few days ago; removing them also spelled the end of my download speed woes. While I think it's VERY strange that the only effect of a bad ram module was a slowing of download speeds, I'm pretty thankful to have found the cause.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 6 (638 Views)

EA DICE Team

@NineCoronas2021

Hi,

I must admit that I wouldn't have come to the conclusion of a bad RAM being the cause of your download speed. That is indeed strange.

However, I am glad to hear that you managed to sort it. Thanks a lot for confirming!

Message 6 of 6 (595 Views)