Re: Origin Donwlaod 50-70% CPU Usage

by EA_Nils

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin Donwlaod 50-70% CPU Usage

★★ Newbie

HI,

i have an i7 4770k and never saw this kind of CPU usage for a download. What can i do to fix this. 

Message 1 of 17 (1,997 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@lemachinbidule Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that we were able to reproduce this internally thanks to your detailed description. We are looking into a fix that will be released in a future Origin Client update.

Thanks again,

Nils

View in thread

Message 14 of 17 (1,661 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@idoriginea2014  Hi,

You can try an alternative method to download your games: Safe Mode Downloading. You can activate that by going to Origin > Application Settings > Advanced > Safe Mode Downloading

Let me know how you get on afterwards.

Thank you,

Nils

Message 2 of 17 (1,979 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

thanks it fixed my problem with this damn client, i was trying to download battleflied 4 TRIAL and my cpu had a constant usage of 16-17%, it's way too much for this task.

So i searched on google and i found your comment and i have tried to turn on secure mode and now it work as intented (only 2-3% cpu usage) and download speed is the same.

secure mode should be on by default.

A bitcoin mining software is bundled in origin ?

Windows 10 - 6600K @ 4.3GHZ - 980Ti - 16GB ram - Z170

thanks.

Message 3 of 17 (1,919 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

@lemachinbidule Hi,

Glad to hear that Origin Safe Mode is letting you download at your regular speeds again.

In regards to your Bitcoin comment, this is obviously not the case. How did you come to that conclusion?

Cheers,

Nils

Message 4 of 17 (1,916 Views)

★★ Novice

haha, it was ironic.

and the problem was not about download speed but about cpu usage Wink

have a good day.

Message 5 of 17 (1,914 Views)

Community Manager

@lemachinbidule Ah I see, now it all makes sense! Standard smile

On a serious note, we have had similar reports in the past, they are very rare though. If you want to help us with tracking this, I'd appreciate a DxDiag of your system, just so the team can see if there are any commonalities.

Spoiler
1.  Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
2.  You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
3.  Type dxdiag in the text field
4.  Click OK
5.  If your computer has a 64-bit version of Windows, click the button Run 64-bit DXDIAG (see screenshot below)
6.  If your computer has a 32-bit version of Windows, that button will not be available

7.  Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
8.  Save this text file to your Desktop if possible
9. Open the text file, select all the text inside (Ctrl + A) and copy it (Ctrl +C).
10. Go to http://hastebin.com/, paste the contents of your DXDiag inside (Ctrl+V) and click Save on the webpage (Ctrl+S).
11. Copy the link of the page in your post, along with a precise description of your issue.

Thanks,

Nils

Message 6 of 17 (1,904 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I spoke too soon, now the client (origin.exe) is using again 20% of CPU Frown

So i have disabled safe mode and it's back to 2-3%, let's see if it jump to 20% in a few minutes again.

I'll watch and during the day I'll post a summary and dxdiag.

Hope you understand my bad english.

Message 7 of 17 (1,901 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Ok, i have found the problem and i have also made a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o3guJOZmdE

The problem is only when downloading a game while GAMES tab is active and the window open (no probem if minimized to systray), it had nothing to do with safe downloading mode ON or off.

Dxdiag will probably not help here but there is my : http://hastebin.com/narowakisi.tex

So probably not related with the problem of "idoriginea2014" and not a big deal for me, i only need to minimize it to systray or switch the tab and the problem is gone.

but it's probably a bigger problem for  people with a slower/2 cores cpu.

Message 8 of 17 (1,892 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@lemachinbidule Thanks for the video and the additional information, that is super helpful!

If you don't mind doing one last thing, please create an Origin Error Report and post its ID in here as highlighted in red below. This will allow our team to look further into your Origin logs to check what exactly the Origin Client was doing at the time.

Spoiler

1. Open Origin.
  2. From the menu on the top choose "Help"
  3. Select "Origin Error Reporter" (You can read more about it here: http://download.dm.origin.com/oer/en_GB.html )

You will see three screens as shown below. 

1. For type of error select "Downloading Games"
  2. For the description of the problem, please include a brief description (copy/paste of your first post should do) and include a link to your forum post.
  3. Check the box to share diagnostic information and click on "Send Report"
  4. The error reporter will show the second screenshot from below and will then show the third screenshot when finished. On the third one mark and choose to copy (or write down) the Error Report ID text string (bolded) and post it here.

OER_tool.png

Cheers,

Nils

Message 9 of 17 (1,879 Views)

★★ Novice

0a0b74627001bf16, let me know if i you need more infos.

Message 10 of 17 (1,874 Views)