Orgin Crashes My Laptop When I Download Games

by minaamelia

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Orgin Crashes My Laptop When I Download Games

★ Novice

I've been trying to download a game for quite a while now, but the download process only lasts a minute or two at most before crashing. When it crashes, everything on my laptop freezes and is unresponsive until I restart it completely. This is very frustrating as I've already paid for the game but am unable to play it. My computer is currently running on Windows 10 if that helps. If any one has any suggestions that would be much appreciated. Thank you! 

Message 1 of 4 (299 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Orgin Crashes My Laptop When I Download Games

Community Manager

@minaamelia Hi again,

I have located your Origin Error Report, thanks a lot for submitting it.

From looking at that, there appears to be an issue with the Origin Client not being able to access a compressed file. We believe that this might be due to a conflict with your Windows Defender.

Please first check that you have all the latest Windows Updates installed, especially those related to Windows Defender.

If that doesn't help, you could also try disabling Windows Defender temporarily, just to see whether that let's you download and install the game. Just make sure that you turn it on again afterwards to ensure that your system stays secure going forward.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (266 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@minaamelia Hi,

What were you trying to download exactly?

Generally speaking, you want to make sure that you are running the Origin Client as administrator, so that it has sufficient rights to create folders and write files on your system partition: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

If that isn't the issue, please try to download the game using Safe Mode Downloading. You can activate that by going to Origin > Application Settings > Advanced > Safe Mode Downloading

If this still does not help, please create an Origin Error Report and post its ID in here as highlighted in red below.

1. Open Origin.
  2. From the menu on the top choose "Help"
  3. Select "Origin Error Reporter" (You can read more about it here: http://download.dm.origin.com/oer/en_GB.html )

You will see three screens as shown below. 

1. For type of error select "Downloading Games"
  2. For the description of the problem, please include a brief description (copy/paste of your first post should do) and include a link to your forum post.
  3. Check the box to share diagnostic information and click on "Send Report"
  4. The error reporter will show the second screenshot from below and will then show the third screenshot when finished. On the third one mark and choose to copy (or write down) the Error Report ID text string (bolded) and post it here.

With this ID we will be able to take a closer look at what exactly has been going on. Thank you very much for taking a look in advance.

OER_tool.png

Thank you,

Nils

Message 2 of 4 (288 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I was trying to download the Sims 4. I've put it into safe mode but it didn't help. I just sent an error report.

Message 3 of 4 (274 Views)

Community Manager

@minaamelia Hi again,

I have located your Origin Error Report, thanks a lot for submitting it.

From looking at that, there appears to be an issue with the Origin Client not being able to access a compressed file. We believe that this might be due to a conflict with your Windows Defender.

Please first check that you have all the latest Windows Updates installed, especially those related to Windows Defender.

If that doesn't help, you could also try disabling Windows Defender temporarily, just to see whether that let's you download and install the game. Just make sure that you turn it on again afterwards to ensure that your system stays secure going forward.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 4 of 4 (267 Views)