ORIGIN STUPIDLY DEFAULTS CLOUD SAVES TO ON

by yodajedifishmstr

Original Post

ORIGIN STUPIDLY DEFAULTS CLOUD SAVES TO ON

★★★★ Apprentice

AGAIN i cannot play any game unless i turn off my internet because the stupid origin program DEFAULTS to cloud saves being on. so every time i try to start fifa 17 it opens up a thing wanting to WIPE my saves off my machine but if i cancel this the damn game doesnt run it just doesnt open the launcher!

trying to set cloud saves to OFF (AGAIN AND AGAIN AAFTER EVERY * UPDATE) just gives message 'we are unable to change your setting the server may be down'.

SO MAKE CLOUD SAVES DEFAULT TO OFF MORONS! THEN THERE WONT EVER BE THIS PROBLEM EVER AGAIN AND I CAN PLAY IF YOUR STUPID CLOUD GETS RAINED ON BY HACKERS.

I AM SICK OF THIS PROBLEM. DEAL WITH IT PROPERLY. CLOUD SAVES I WILL NEVER USE. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HAVING ALL MY GAMES OR OTHER CONTENT AT THE MERCY OF WHATEVER HACKER GROUP IN RUSSIA NEEDS SOME CASH AT SHORT NOTICE AND BLACKMAILS EA BY KEEPING THE CLOUD OFFLINE. ALL THE REST OF HUMANITY CAN BE STUPID AND USE THE CLOUD WHICH IS A TRAIN WRECK WAITING TO HAPPEN BUT I WILL NEVER EVER EVER BE INTERESTED. SO DEFAULT SHOULD BE OPT INTO CLOUD SAVES AND IT SHOULD CERTAINLY NEVER ASK TO DELETE LOCAL SAVES - LET THE USER FIND AND DO THAT MANUALLY IF THEY ARE SO STUPIDLY INCLINED

Message 1 of 8 (3,649 Views)

Re: ORIGIN STUPIDLY DEFAULTS CLOUD SAVES TO ON

EA DICE Team

@yodajedifishmstr

Hi,

If you are experiencing trouble with Origin settings then try clearing the cache and running as administrator. If you then get the message that the server cannot be reached then note that Origin uses the following ports:

• TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 3216; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
  • UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 29900

Let me know if that helps.

Message 2 of 8 (3,632 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

the problem only occurs when origin comes up with an error. when it works it works. but the default position to have to OPT OUT of cloud saves assumes everyone has an internet connection ALL the time, which i do not, and that origin will work perfectly ALL the time which is impossible, and that EA servers will never ever be down which is also impossible - server maintenance and hackers attacking will see to that, but it seems origin stores the cloud save setting in the cloud or on a different server to the cloud rather than locally. this means when that settings server is unreachable due to traffic or maintenance origin uses a hard programmed default - the effect of which is to prevent games being played unless you transfer your saves to a cloud.

i will never use the cloud. its too easy for a hacker group with more time than brains to take the cloud down. a fire where the servers are will take them down. power outages will cause issues. lightning strikes. there are millions of ways you can find the cloud unreachable - govt decides to censor the web via dns interception and get the wrong ip ranges. then your games are utterly useless if you cloud save because your game cant reach the cloud and wont work without it - because when origins settings server is down it cant access the setting and assumes you are stupid and want to trust some other place than your local pc for your saves.

i dont care what issue that origin has. the problem is the default behaviour in such a case. i can fix this problem, for now, but one windows update might make it return and suddenly my saves are uploaded to someplace i dont want them and deleted from my laptop where i DO want them, and no way i see to get them back. the default should ALWAYS be to make the player CHOOSE cloud saves not the other way round. default the origin settings to the local pc rather than the cloud or wherever the hell its hiding them and this problem will not be able to return. if others are dumb and want their saves and personal data and family vids and photos held to ransom in the cloud fine - but let them CHOOSE to be dumb. syncing so any device can access them is wonderful in theory but in practise the end result will always be that one day ALL those devices are useless because the cloud is down.

Message 3 of 8 (3,625 Views)

EA DICE Team

@yodajedifishmstr

I just want to add that we have several backups for our Cloud Storage - you only have your personal network. I want you to stop and think about it for a moment and decide if you really feel that your personal network is more secure than our professional one.

If something happens to your local system then your save games are gone.. the Cloud will meanwhile still be there.

Message 4 of 8 (3,615 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

i hear what you say, but any determined group can ensure the cloud remains inaccessible for long periods so its no more secure or available than local. where my saves are now, i can easily back them up - but when the cloud is made inaccessible or is down for whatever reason, defaulting origin to cloud saves it WANTS to wipe the local saves and change the setings, and it shouldnt do that. the settings should be store locally - sure add them to the cloud so it doesnt try to override the local settings; but if the local settings say no cloud saves that should be the default, not an imposed delete everything locally and try to upload it to the cloud... when the origin program cant get your settings to not use the cloud - because the cloud is down! thats just making people angry who paid money for the game, as well as askign for trouble if some botch causes the local saves to get wiped because origin THINKS it successfully uploaded them, despite my not ever wanting the cloud.

i want to thank you for your reponse btw its helped me vent some annoyance Standard smile

Message 5 of 8 (3,601 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I had some dorks sitting outside my house not long ago trying to crack my WIFI, all 63 hex characters of it, so I gave them a honeypot to have a go at with an easier password and a formatting surprise. Home networks are not very secure and WIFI printers and some mobile phones will insist on leaving WIFI name broadcast on. 

I have noticed with those cloud save thingys don't line up with the details in Origin anyway for some games. The unlocks work from campaign in BF1 so I don't really care ATM, but every now and then you get a game (Mass Effect 3 is one) where you have to copy the saves in and out of the folder a few times, start a new game and copy them in again to get them to show up.

Sometimes eventually it does, just one day the achievements just go POP and register. I'll toggle and off and on and bang a few times with a hammer and see what happens. Probably eventually the achievements will possibly show up for BF1 in Origin like they do in the game.

Message 6 of 8 (3,589 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just want to only save my games on my computer. Is there any way to do this? Or am i forced to upload all my save files to the EA servers? Will a save file still exist on my computer and then as i exit a game will a copy of my local file be uploaded to the EA servers or will all save files only exist on EA servers?

Message 7 of 8 (2,560 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @YourEvilTwin2 I'm locking this thread as it is a number of years old.

If you wish to turn off your cloud saves then you can do so in your application settings though some games will require an online connection and for some information to be saved on our end.

You can find more info relating to cloud saves here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-origin-game-saves/

Darko

Darko.png
Message 8 of 8 (2,551 Views)