Re: New Laptop

by KlNGOFSKATE

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New Laptop

★★★ Newbie

I bought Sims 4 Get to Work on my last laptop and I just bought a new one today, can I still download it? If so, how?

Message 1 of 3 (154 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

★★★★★ Expert

Assuming your old laptop isn't fried/junked there's a pretty easy way to copy your already downloaded game from your old computer to your new one. It speeds up the process, depending on your net speed.

1)On your old PC, navigate to wherever Origin saves your game's program files. For me this is C:>Program Files (x86) > Origin Games. There should be folders for all your Origin games there. Copy your "Sims 4" folder to a thumbdrive/external.

2) On your shiny new PC, download Origin, log in, and begin your Sims 4 download. Let it reach 1%, then pause the download and exit Origin. Navigate to the your Origin Games folder, and there should now be a Sims 4 folder that was created when you began the download. Plug in your thumbdrive, and copy your full "Sims 4" game folder from your thumbdrive to your Origin Games folder, copying over anything if it asks.

3) Start Origin up again, and resume your download. Origin should check the files that are there, realize it doesn't need to download any more, and install the game.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (150 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★★★★★ Expert

Assuming your old laptop isn't fried/junked there's a pretty easy way to copy your already downloaded game from your old computer to your new one. It speeds up the process, depending on your net speed.

1)On your old PC, navigate to wherever Origin saves your game's program files. For me this is C:>Program Files (x86) > Origin Games. There should be folders for all your Origin games there. Copy your "Sims 4" folder to a thumbdrive/external.

2) On your shiny new PC, download Origin, log in, and begin your Sims 4 download. Let it reach 1%, then pause the download and exit Origin. Navigate to the your Origin Games folder, and there should now be a Sims 4 folder that was created when you began the download. Plug in your thumbdrive, and copy your full "Sims 4" game folder from your thumbdrive to your Origin Games folder, copying over anything if it asks.

3) Start Origin up again, and resume your download. Origin should check the files that are there, realize it doesn't need to download any more, and install the game.

Message 2 of 3 (151 Views)

Community Manager

@kareby0027 Hi,

Outside of the excellent suggestion by KINGOFSKATE, you can also just download and install the Origin Client on your laptop and download and install the game once ore: https://www.origin.com/download

Next, start the Origin Client with administrator rights: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

You can then log in with your account, the same that you had used to initially purchase your game.

Now click on the "My Games" tab within the client.

There you will find a box tile of your game. Click it and choose download.

Once the download and installation has concluded, you can right-click the game tile again and select "View Game Details".

Check out this thread here for a detailed visual guide: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Missing-expansions-Be-sure-to-check-here/td-p/4438200

Let us know if you still have any questions afterwards.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 3 of 3 (130 Views)