Re: Moving origin installation to other drive?

by CitrusViking

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Moving origin installation to other drive?

★★★★★ Novice

Want to move origin launcher/installation to my SSD not games i want the laucher there,

how to do it properly without losing settings or screwing up with anything.

Message 1 of 4 (27,215 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

This process will not uninstall any of your games or delete your save progress. It also will not move your games and save progress to your SSD. This will only move your Origin program.

1. Manually uninstall Origin using this process: http://help.ea.com/en/article/manually-uninstalling-origin/

2. Download Origin from here: https://www.origin.com/en-us/download

3. When reinstalling Origin, change the installation location to your SSD. It should look like the picture I attached below

Alternatively, you can go to the location Origin is installed to already (it defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin) and simply cut and paste it to your SSD. This should work just fine, but there is a chance there would be caching issues, so I personally think the above steps are a better deal.

If you want to move your games as well, then create an Origin Games folder on your SSD and cut and paste the games to that location. Then complete the following steps to make sure Origin detects your games correctly:

1. Open Origin

2. Go to Application Settings
3. Select the Advanced section

4. Under Downloaded Games, select "Change..."

5. Select the Origin Games folder you created on your SSD
6. Reboot Origin for the changes to apply

I hope this helps!

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (27,952 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

This process will not uninstall any of your games or delete your save progress. It also will not move your games and save progress to your SSD. This will only move your Origin program.

1. Manually uninstall Origin using this process: http://help.ea.com/en/article/manually-uninstalling-origin/

2. Download Origin from here: https://www.origin.com/en-us/download

3. When reinstalling Origin, change the installation location to your SSD. It should look like the picture I attached below

Alternatively, you can go to the location Origin is installed to already (it defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin) and simply cut and paste it to your SSD. This should work just fine, but there is a chance there would be caching issues, so I personally think the above steps are a better deal.

If you want to move your games as well, then create an Origin Games folder on your SSD and cut and paste the games to that location. Then complete the following steps to make sure Origin detects your games correctly:

1. Open Origin

2. Go to Application Settings
3. Select the Advanced section

4. Under Downloaded Games, select "Change..."

5. Select the Origin Games folder you created on your SSD
6. Reboot Origin for the changes to apply

I hope this helps!

Message 2 of 4 (27,953 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I had the same problem, so I figured I'd necro this thread with an actual solution.  Attempting to just cut and paste it to a new location will throw an error because of file locks.

1. Close Origin.
  2. Open an elevated Command Prompt and run the following: Net Stop "Origin Web Helper Service"
  3. Move the Origin folder to the desired location.
  4. Open Regedit and browse to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Origin" or "HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Origin" (depending on it you have 32bit or 64bit Windows) and update the "ClientPath" and "OriginPath" values with the new path.
  5. Open an elevated Command Prompt and run the following commands, where the "..." is the new path:
    • SC CONFIG "Origin Client Service" binPath="...\OriginClientService.exe"
    • SC CONFIG "Origin Web Helper Service" binPath="...\OriginWebHelperService.exe"

The fact that this is even an issue boggles the mind, and is just one more reason the Origin Launcher has such a bad reputation.

Message 3 of 4 (4,288 Views)

Hey there,

Since this is quite an old post, I'm going ahead and locking it to prevent more necro-posting.
If you need help with something, please go ahead and create a new post.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 4 of 4 (4,285 Views)