Re: Medal of Honor Allied Assualt warchest doesn't launch on Windows 10 64-bit

by mcmike89

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Medal of Honor Allied Assualt warchest doesn't launch on Windows 10 64-bit

★ Apprentice

Can someone please tell me how to get Medal of Honor Allied Assault Warchest to work on Windows 10 64-bit? I keep getting an error message at launch that says, Medal of Honor Allied Assault has stopped working and needs to close. How can I get it to work?

Message 1 of 19 (27,326 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@mcmike89 Hi again,

In that case I will copy and paste you the excerpt:

Spoiler
In addition to the changes that are listed for the vulnerabilities that are described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097, this security bulletin addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver. This may affect the ability to run some older games.

To learn more about the vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097.

[...]

Known issues in this security update

• After you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry.

Note When you no longer require the service to be running, we recommend that you turn off the service again.

Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

To do this, type the following commands at an elevated command prompt. You should press Enter after you type each command.
    • To disable the driver's service, type the following command:
      sc config secdrv start= disabled
    • To set the driver's service to manual, type the following command:
      sc config secdrv start= demand
    • To enable the driver's service (and to set it to automatic), type the following command:
      sc config secdrv start=auto
    • To manually start the driver's service, type the following command:
      sc start secdrv
    • To manually stop the driver's service, type the following command:
      sc stop secdrv
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Or, you can edit the registry directly. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
  3. Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
  4. In the Value data box, do one of the following:
    • Type 4 to disable the driver's service, and then click OK.
    • Type 3 to set the driver's service to manual, and then click OK.
    • Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK.
  5. Exit Registry Editor.

[...]

Unfortunately this is quite technical, let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 8 of 19 (30,466 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@mcmike89 Hi,

This is a tricky one. Please read the "Known issues in this security update" section in this article from Microsoft carefully and follow the commands required for the workaround in order to get the game running on Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 19 (27,298 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Nils I click on the link, but theres nothing there, it says try searching what you're looking for. The link you gave me to try and fix the problem is a bad link. Here's a picture of the error message I get when I launch the game. I'm attaching it to this post.

Message 3 of 19 (27,284 Views)

Re: Medal of Honor Allied Assault warchest doesn't launch on Windows 10 64-bit

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

You or your Internet Provider made an error.  His link is working fine using my browser and my Internet Provider: 

" MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015 " 

All but one single MoH game is now too old to run easily on the newer OSes, and special adjustments are required, as is true in this case. 

Message 4 of 19 (27,262 Views)

Community Manager

@mcmike89 Alright if the link does not work for you, you could type in the following into the search bar on the page: 

MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015

Let me know whether that let's you access the page.

As for the error message, can you try looking at your reliability monitor following the steps below:

1. Press Win+R to open the run box
2. Type perfmon /rel to open the reliability monitor.

This opens a window where you can click on the error's visually shown (white X in red circle) to find the latest one related to Medal of Honor. Click show details and then paste the info that is listed in there in here.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 5 of 19 (27,258 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Gorath_the_Elder I'm using Google Chrome. I just updated too. Its weird why the page when I click on the link doesn't work.

Message 6 of 19 (27,243 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Nils What am I looking at in this page? I still get nothing. Gosh, I don't know why Origin would even sell this game if it doesn't work on the newer OS systems. It makes no sense. I'm sorry, I'm just lost right now. I'll just try the other method which hopefully is an easier way to get this game to work without headaches!

Message 7 of 19 (27,241 Views)

Community Manager

@mcmike89 Hi again,

In that case I will copy and paste you the excerpt:

Spoiler
In addition to the changes that are listed for the vulnerabilities that are described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097, this security bulletin addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver. This may affect the ability to run some older games.

To learn more about the vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097.

[...]

Known issues in this security update

• After you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry.

Note When you no longer require the service to be running, we recommend that you turn off the service again.

Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

To do this, type the following commands at an elevated command prompt. You should press Enter after you type each command.
    • To disable the driver's service, type the following command:
      sc config secdrv start= disabled
    • To set the driver's service to manual, type the following command:
      sc config secdrv start= demand
    • To enable the driver's service (and to set it to automatic), type the following command:
      sc config secdrv start=auto
    • To manually start the driver's service, type the following command:
      sc start secdrv
    • To manually stop the driver's service, type the following command:
      sc stop secdrv
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Or, you can edit the registry directly. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
  3. Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
  4. In the Value data box, do one of the following:
    • Type 4 to disable the driver's service, and then click OK.
    • Type 3 to set the driver's service to manual, and then click OK.
    • Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK.
  5. Exit Registry Editor.

[...]

Unfortunately this is quite technical, let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 8 of 19 (30,467 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

So by doing this method, I'm risking my computer to become vulnerable to getting viruses or spyware/melware?

Message 9 of 19 (27,198 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@EA_Nils Ok, I think I figure it out now of what you wanted me to do in the first place. Here's the info of what the crash is for the game.

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Medal of Honor Allied Assault Warchest\MOHAA.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: MOHAA.exe
Application Version: 1.2.1.280
Application Timestamp: 3c87f0d0
Fault Module Name: StackHash_4178
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: PCH_70_FROM_ntdll+0x0007718C
Exception Code: c0000409
Exception Data: 00000015
OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4178
Additional Information 2: 4178dbce1f3764e1cb20abf4dc5b722a
Additional Information 3: 26f6
Additional Information 4: 26f635ae76b99af27ab0b19385aa2b01

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: d359608da09cdd1854d09ae8a0bf247c (50)

This one below looks different for some reason.

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Medal of Honor Allied Assault Warchest\MOHAA.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MOHAA.exe
Application Version: 1.2.1.280
Application Timestamp: 3c87f0d0
Fault Module Name: StackHash_abcc
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c00000fd
Exception Offset: PCH_58_FROM_ntdll+0x00076D66
OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: abcc
Additional Information 2: abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9
Additional Information 3: abcc
Additional Information 4: abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 57f447b4b8bed3f541e792d7ddecd60c (-2118971849)

Message 10 of 19 (27,185 Views)