Linking Steam account to EA/Origin

by sarvopari

Original Post

Highlighted

Linking Steam account to EA/Origin

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone, I hope this information is useful to some of you.

The Problem: I downloaded Fallen Order from Steam on a new computer, but the Origin app wouldn't let me open the game. It gave the "Unidentified Game" message and asked for a product key, which of course, newer Steam games do not have. Signing in via the instructions on help.ea.com simply led to an endless loop of EA asking me to reset my EA account password without ever connecting Steam.

I scoured help.ea.com and other forums online for an answer, but to no avail. Similarly, the EA support team were nice, and patient, but ultimately could not help me resolve this issue.

The Solution (that worked for me): The reason I could not link my Steam account is because it was apparently linked to another email account. I discovered this by doing the following:

• Downloaded the EA Play app
  • Connected Steam app to sync my friends list

If your Steam account is already linked to another email address, EA Play will give you a message at this point telling you that you cannot sync your friend list because your Steam account is linked to another email address.

Once you can ascertain this, you have to sign into ea.com (or help.ea.com) with the email address with which your Steam account is connected. This obviously requires you to know which email address this could be (and access to that email address in case you need to reset your password). Once signed in, you can then unlink Steam from this account.

Once your Steam account is unlinked, you can now follow the steps listed on help.ea.com that everyone is always linking to in order to connect your Steam accounts. As a quick reference, the two main methods are:

• Open the game from Steam
  • Sign into help.ea.com using the Steam icon

Remember, these methods only work if your Steam account isn't already linked with another EA account. And the only reliable way I've found to ascertain this information is by attempting to sync friends between Steam and the EA Play app.

+++

I hope that this information helps those of you who need it and helps you save a tremendous amount of time and frustration trying to resolve this issue.

Message 1 of 1 (254 Views)