Re: Is it possible to port a saved game from one computer to another?

by mcsupersport

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is it possible to port a saved game from one computer to another?

★ Apprentice

I will be going on vacation in a couple of weeks; and want to use a laptop while on vacation to continue playing.  Is it possible to port the saved game from one to another? I understand I will have to download and install Origins as well as the individual games.

Message 1 of 3 (768 Views)

Accepted Solution

As a easy way for faster downloads for some people......

You can download Origin install it and set up your install folder on the laptop.  Make sure it is good enough to run the game/s you want too.  Once Origin is downloaded and ready, and you have an install location on the computer, if you have the laptop and your main PC on the same network, you should be able to copy the files over the network instead of having to download them from Origin site.  Simply allow sharing between the two computers on the network, find the original PC Origin install site, find the game folders inside it, and then copy that to the new computers folders.  This way for MOST people you get faster transfer of data, because it is on your network rather than over internet....this of course may NOT be true for all people as some have insanely fast internet but for, I would say, most it would be faster.  Once the game is copied over to the correct location, you then just hit install on Origin, it will look and see the files and proceed to check and ready them for use. 

Be careful if you use Cloud saves.  It can both help and hurt you in the end.  If you don't read the prompts carefully you can download cloud saves overwriting your PC saves when instead you wanted to keep them.  IT can help you by allowing you to transfer between PCs easily and also allow you to recover saves you mistakenly deleted too.  I personally haven't had much luck with Cloud saves and keep it turned off, but some people have had good luck and use out of it.  Learning where saves are stored for games that save on your PC and making backups is a good practice and a USB stick to transfer between computers isn't too hard but does require knowing locations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 3 of 3 (761 Views)

All Replies

There are three types of "save game":
- Local on your computer,
- Cloud save game,
- Online game.

Games with Cloud save & Online games can be played(continue where you stoped) by switching Computer any time.

Switching computer for Games with local save game can be tricky:
- you must know the save location (the folder on your local disk) &
- manualy copy the Save files to another Computer (for eg. by USB stick).
Yours sincerely, Mikimuster3
I am a volunteer and not an EA employee.
Important Priority Necessary (Improve the solution to your problem):
- https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/using-ea-help/
- https://www.facebook.com/EAHelpHub/
- https://twitter.com/eahelp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"XP" button = reward someone's effort! (this is like saying "Thanks")
"Accept as Solution" = important for other players with the same problem!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*P.S. Most enjoyable EA= https://www.ea.com/games/coming-soon
Message 2 of 3 (754 Views)

As a easy way for faster downloads for some people......

You can download Origin install it and set up your install folder on the laptop.  Make sure it is good enough to run the game/s you want too.  Once Origin is downloaded and ready, and you have an install location on the computer, if you have the laptop and your main PC on the same network, you should be able to copy the files over the network instead of having to download them from Origin site.  Simply allow sharing between the two computers on the network, find the original PC Origin install site, find the game folders inside it, and then copy that to the new computers folders.  This way for MOST people you get faster transfer of data, because it is on your network rather than over internet....this of course may NOT be true for all people as some have insanely fast internet but for, I would say, most it would be faster.  Once the game is copied over to the correct location, you then just hit install on Origin, it will look and see the files and proceed to check and ready them for use. 

Be careful if you use Cloud saves.  It can both help and hurt you in the end.  If you don't read the prompts carefully you can download cloud saves overwriting your PC saves when instead you wanted to keep them.  IT can help you by allowing you to transfer between PCs easily and also allow you to recover saves you mistakenly deleted too.  I personally haven't had much luck with Cloud saves and keep it turned off, but some people have had good luck and use out of it.  Learning where saves are stored for games that save on your PC and making backups is a good practice and a USB stick to transfer between computers isn't too hard but does require knowing locations.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 3 of 3 (762 Views)