Betreff: How do I stop Origin from opening automatically when I start Windows?

by EA_Mat

Original Post

How do I stop Origin from opening automatically when I start Windows?

★★★ Newbie

When I turn on my computer, it automatically launches Origin. I went into application setting and unchecked this box. I exited the program. When I re-launch Origin, that box shows up checked again as if I have not changed it. What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 10 (53,199 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

You can prevent most software from automatically starting by disabling it in msconfig > autostart

-type msconfig in your search window under start
-go to autostart and disable Origin

-press ok and restart the computer

Message 2 of 10 (53,118 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This option is in task-manager since Windows 10.

But why should I use Windows options when this is also in Origin application settings?

EA have to fix it.

Does EA-Developer reading in the forum?

Message 3 of 10 (53,094 Views)

Re: How do I stop Origin from opening automatically when I start Windows?

Hero (Retired)

@x2stuffedoreos

Just follow @EA_Mat's advise, and it will stop it from automatically loading when you boot your PC.  If you are on Win 8.1, or 10, you can also do so from the Task Manager.  If you would like these steps, post back and let me know, and I will post them for you.

@Give5

Is it so hard to go into these settings and just disable it?  I'm assuming it is re-checking the box, since it is still "Enabled" in MS settings.  It is a very simple fix to take care of.

Did my post help you? Click "Grant XP"
Did my post solve your issue? Click "Accept As Solution"

I do not work for EA. I am just a gamer helping fellow gamers.

See you on the Battlefield!!!

Multi-Platform Elite Race: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4

I DO NOT ANSWER PMs. IF YOU NEED HELP, POST A NEW THREAD SO THE WHOLE COMMUNITY CAN GIVE INPUT, AND IF IT GETS SOLVED, EVERYONE CAN SEE THE SOLUTION.

Message 4 of 10 (53,087 Views)

★★★ Newbie

For me it isn´t hard to find this windwos settings, but does every PC Gamer know this??? This is a workaround for something the program have to do.

You have the choise on first start of Origin. When you would change it, you can do it in the program settings. But this doesn´t work! 

Origins autostart is in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" When you delete the entry "EADM" the box is unchecked. If you check it again it doesn´t work too. Origin don´t change the registry also with admin privilegs. It´s a bug in Origin and have to be fixed asap.

Message 5 of 10 (53,080 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It does not re-check when I un-check it. I un-check it. Then I close the program and re-open it to see if it took. It is then re-checked. But I sincerely appreciate your sarcasm and rudeness towards my genuine question. Feel free not answer if you're going to be rude about it. Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 10 (53,076 Views)

★★★ Newbie

do you know how to fix this on Mac 

Message 7 of 10 (42,392 Views)

★★★ Newbie
How do I play the sims 4 without origin
Message 8 of 10 (41,429 Views)

★★★ Newbie

When I disable origin in the task manager startup, it always enables it self again.  If it happens again im just going to uninstall it.  EA is the worst. 

Thanks,

Have a nice day

Message 9 of 10 (35,187 Views)

Community Manager

@EA_Mat wrote:

You can prevent most software from automatically starting by disabling it in msconfig > autostart

-type msconfig in your search window under start
-go to autostart and disable Origin

-press ok and restart the computer

@Bawlzie 

Shutting down programs in Task Manager only does it for that session. When you restart your PC it will pop up again. Please follow Mat's advice I quoted above to properly disable programs from automatically starting up at launch. 

I will be locking down this post since it's several years old and Mat provided the correct answer to do this under Windows. 

Blueberry.png
Message 10 of 10 (6,932 Views)