Re: How do I repair Crysis 2?

by IkoIko

Original Post

How do I repair Crysis 2?

★★★ Novice

I want need to repair Crysis 2 that has to be launched via Origin GUI.

1. My Crysis 2 game game suddenly slows to a frame rate of about 1 frame every 3 seconds (as I counted). I've played it many times over the years without a problem.
  2. I've quit and restarted the comp then the game and same thing. Tried many times - even restarted a new game and it drags at the same area every time.
  3. I can still play Crysis, Headwars, C3 and other Origin launched games.
  4. C2 goes slow-mo at the point where one can drop the big donut sign on a enemy, with or without dropping the donut, slows to a crawl. 

I've read many posts - nothing about how to repair, and without running into the grief many have when they reinstall. I'm not even sure where to find the download if that is the way to go.

Do I just insert the DVDs and pray or do I Contact Origin to find the download online? Which is faster?

Thank you for your response - really!

i

Message 1 of 10 (1,320 Views)

Community Manager

@IkoIko Are you running the game through Origin or from an install off a disc, if it is from the disc can you try redeeming your code to Origin and downloading that way?

If you have a DxDiag we can take a look at your system for you to see if there is anything there causing issues: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

/darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,307 Views)

★★★ Novice

@ EA Darko 

Your query caused me to look closer. 

I do have the DVD and I remember installing it. C2 runs from a shortcut that points to "D:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2\bin32\Crysis2.exe"

When I browse the Origin store and find C2, it is flagged as "Purchased". I think I installed from DVD and ran into a grief and contacted EA who in turn had me Download it - perhaps? It's been too long so I cannot remember for certain. I wanted to see the price as it may be easier if I just  re-download but all I get is "Purchased".

Origin shortcut points to "D:\Program Files\Origin\Origin.exe"

The D: drive is a partition off C: where I keep all my games.

I do not know how go to about "redeeming" code to Origin. Do I open a ticket with EA?

In my d:/Programs/ are 2 Origin folders. The Origin Games folder has 

Crysis

Crysis 3

Dead Space

Medal of Honor Warefare.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with my system because every other game runs just fine. C2 hasn't been upgraded, ungraded, patched or fixed with anything.  C1, C3, Headwars, Dishonored, Farcry 1, 2 ,3 Quake4 - - - all play just fine. It's just Crysis 2 and it's my favourite!

I very much appreciate your assistance - really!

i.

Message 3 of 10 (1,286 Views)

How do I REPAIR Crysis 2?

★★★ Novice

RE: Crysis TWO Football!

1. I already posted the question before (see it here - I think it was deleted though) , had one response from a well informed person, and I responded back with a DxDiag - heard nothing back since then. Since EA-Darko is probably very busy with someone else, I thought I'd ask again. I seriously doubt a DxDiag will come anywhere near this issue - you'll see why below.

2. I Have, and can play Crysis, Crysis 2, and 3 and Warhead just fine. BUT, now when I go back to 2, just at the area when one can drop a Donut sign off the roof, frame rate drops to one frame per 3 seconds. Yep, so slow I can count the seconds between each frame. But, all other games work just fine.

MY QUESTION:

Originally, I installed this from a DVD. I seem to remember there being a lot of grief because EA refused to accept the keycode. I also remember someone at EA redirecting me to another part of the site, I downloaded and used a different keycode provided by EA and the game installed and worked. Why any company issues DVDs they won't recognize is wild!

I have read where other customers have lost some or all of their account when trying to re-store a game from their DVD. I'll skip that grief if it's OK Standard smile

How might I REPAIR the game?

i.

Message 4 of 10 (1,226 Views)

Community Manager

@IkoIko Please ensure that you use the tagging users when replying, all you have to do is hit @ and then enter the name or select it from the drop-down or else I may or others may miss your response. 

If you have a Crysis 2 product code and have not already redeemed it then please open Origin, click on 'Origin' in the top left corner of the screen and select 'Redeem Product Code'. From here you can enter your code and if it is valid then it will be added to Origin.

If you having issues with the code then please speak with our live support. 

You can contact our live support at help.ea.com.  

To request a callback or speak with a chat adviser:

Click on your product Origin

Then select 'PC

Manage my Account'

Can't log in

Finally, you can choose to receive a callback or begin a chat.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 5 of 10 (1,256 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko

This isn't about what you garnered from a quick perusal.

Inside my Crysis 2 DVD box is what we old folks would call a "Manual". On the very back page, is what we use to call a "License Key". Has that term been upgraded to "Product Code"?

I am not trying to "redeem" anything. Just trying to fix the frame rate. Unless, "redeem" now means enter, install, type.

I do not see how entering that will fix the frame rate speed. 

THE HEART OF THE MATTER:

Again, it is the problem here after all this time, the frame rate drops to 1 frame every 3 seconds. Tests done yesterday:

1. I selected a new profile at the start of the game.
  2. I started the game over. Of note, all achievements/accomplishments/goals whatever they are called, were empty. That's OK! 
  3. To move along, I set it to Easy skill.
  4. The game played fine for the first 5 minutes and dropped to a terminally slow frame rate again. 

SUMMARY: 

No matter at what point the game is stared, either from a previously played or new start, the frame rate slides off to 1 frame per 3 seconds.

I I spoke with a EA(?) fellow called back and was very attentive and was about to spend a inordinate amount of his time helping me, but I suggested instead he explain how I might "Repair Crysis 2". I suggested this would be quicker for him and me. He told me how to "Repair Crysis 2". Whew! 

I did the repair via the Origin GUI Game Launcher as instructed. I was not asked if I wanted to redem anything.
The results were the same. Bad frame rate - bad bad bad!

I pulled the ethernet cable out (Offline), rebooted  and ran the game this time from the folder without the GUI. It was fine for a while but dropped right to 1 per 3 seconds - again.

NOTE: Crysis, Crysis Headwars, and Crysis 3 ALL work OK. It's just 2 that has suddenly gone rogue. Remember, I've played it through several times in the past and it worked fine.
NOTE: All my other games work fine as well. 

IF it were my hardware, or new software (which there isn't any), or upgrades (which there are none) then  it only makes sense that the newest Crysis 3, and even Headwars would also have a problem. Logically, it HAS to be Crysis 2.

Is "Repair" via the game launcher the same as reinstalling it? It did the "repair" pretty fast - and failed to fix the problem.

Could this bad frame rate be due to an unannounced silent UPgraded Origin GUI?

Of NOTE AFTER the "repair" is that now, the GUI no longer holds my login data., I have to re-enter it each time. It doesn't get better.,

i.

Message 6 of 10 (1,248 Views)

Community Manager

@IkoIko Firstly, my last response was in response to your initial thread, if you are running Crysis 2 from a disc then I would recommend redeeming to Origin and installing that way. 

If running from a disc there is no way to know if you are running the most up to date version of the game, hence why I recommend that you download and play through Origin rather than the disc.

You had multiple threads about the same issue so they were merged together after I made my last response, it was not in response to your last post but rather the initial issue.

Have you redeemed the game to your Origin account and downloaded it that way so that you have the most up to date version of the game running?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 7 of 10 (1,200 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko wrote:

@IkoIko

<brevity> 

Have you redeemed the game to your Origin account and downloaded it that way so that you have the most up to date version of the game running?

Darko

I still don't know what Origin/EAs definition of "redeem" is because no where can I find out - still - how one redeems themselves to EA.

I guess you missed it again, but I followed the instructions to "Repair" (the topic of my 'thread'(?) via the GUI but that didn't do any good either. Is that the same as redeem?

i

Message 8 of 10 (1,189 Views)

Community Manager

@IkoIko Origin/EA's definition of redeem is the same as others, if you have an Origin account which I assume you would then you need to launch Origin and then in the top left of the screen click on the 'Origin' tab and from the drop-down window select 'Redeem Product Code". In this window, you can now enter your Crysis 2 code as it is still not clear from your posts if you are launching the game through Origin or from disc given that in your first post and first reply you state that you installed from the disc rather than through Origin. You may have added the game to launch through Origin but it may not, in fact, be the Origin version and as such there is no way of knowing if it is fully up to date. 

Once you have redeemed your code to Origin you can delete your existing install and then download and install the game from Origin ensuring that it is the most up to date version of the game with all updates installed. 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 9 of 10 (1,167 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko wrote:

@IkoIko Origin/EA's definition of redeem is the same as others, if you have an Origin account which I assume you would then you need to launch Origin and then in the top left of the screen click on the 'Origin' tab and from the drop-down window select 'Redeem Product Code". In this window, you can now enter your Crysis 2 code as it is still not clear from your posts if you are launching the game through Origin or from disc given that in your first post and first reply you state that you installed from the disc rather than through Origin. You may have added the game to launch through Origin but it may not, in fact, be the Origin version and as such there is no way of knowing if it is fully up to date. 

Once you have redeemed your code to Origin you can delete your existing install and then download and install the game from Origin ensuring that it is the most up to date version of the game with all updates installed. 

Darko

@EA_Darko

I will re-try in shorter point form:

1. I HAD Crysis 2 Limited Edition" <--- IMPORTANT!! which ran without the need for Origin Gui. That Windows crashed and burned, leaving THAT drive a slave (XStandard smile which I no longer use except as data storage.

2. In time, I re-bought Crysis 2 this time, Maximum Edition which was installed VIA the GUI on or about the date it was purchased ("Order Date: 24/06/14"), onto the new Windows, new drive)

3. All Origin/EA games launch from the Origin/EA control panel/GUI/Game Launcher.

i

Message 10 of 10 (1,138 Views)