How do I go back to the old Origin Client?

by CSilverX

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How do I go back to the old Origin Client?

★★★★ Novice

Since the forced update to the games have become completely unplayable.

Rubber-banding, lost or bad connections on systems that were completely working before this update.

how do I go back?

Message 1 of 13 (9,769 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: How do I go back to the old Origin Client?

EA DICE Team

The new client is mandatory - you will only be able to switch to a limited older client if you are on Windows XP or Vista.

View in thread

Message 3 of 13 (10,473 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

New Origin suck not good at all For me it feels like not very practical . Dont know why they change for something worse.

Message 2 of 13 (9,713 Views)

EA DICE Team

The new client is mandatory - you will only be able to switch to a limited older client if you are on Windows XP or Vista.

Message 3 of 13 (10,474 Views)

★★ Novice

If you have an intel base system w/ integrated GFX and a Detacated GFX you can fix the problem.

here are the steps to revert to the old way

1. update to the latest version of origin

2. reboot and enter BIOS switch to the integrated gfx *make shur that the VRAM is set to auto or less that 128mb*

3. switch you dvi vga or HDMI cable to the corresponding port on the IO on you MB

4. start origin it will give some kind or warning about you system being too slow then it will automatically switch back to the older version of origin

5. once it has completed the down grade make shur to check disable auto updates for games and origin itself.

6. go back into the BIOS and switch back to your dedicated GFX and reboot

7. reconnect your monitor to you graphics card.

8. long live PC master race

* as long as you don't update the client it should remain this way 

** if you ever have to update the client just redo these steps

*** also this is EA; so as soon as i post this they will find a way to make it no longer work; because they are EA

Message 4 of 13 (9,288 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Blorglove wrote:

If you have an intel base system w/ integrated GFX and a Detacated GFX you can fix the problem.

here are the steps to revert to the old way

1. update to the latest version of origin

2. reboot and enter BIOS switch to the integrated gfx *make shur that the VRAM is set to auto or less that 128mb*

3. switch you dvi vga or HDMI cable to the corresponding port on the IO on you MB

4. start origin it will give some kind or warning about you system being too slow then it will automatically switch back to the older version of origin

5. once it has completed the down grade make shur to check disable auto updates for games and origin itself.

6. go back into the BIOS and switch back to your dedicated GFX and reboot

7. reconnect your monitor to you graphics card.

8. long live PC master race

* as long as you don't update the client it should remain this way 

** if you ever have to update the client just redo these steps

*** also this is EA; so as soon as i post this they will find a way to make it no longer work; because they are EA

There is currently a faster and easier method of doing this:

• Download our old Origin client via https://www.dm.origin.com/download/legacy
  • Run the installer in Vista or XP SP2 compatibility mode (right-click installer -> Properties -> Compatibility)
  • Note that Store and Social functions are not available on this Origin version. Any purchases can still be made via the webstore on another device.
Message 5 of 13 (9,250 Views)

★★ Novice

TOM you are a genius that is way easier than my work around thank you my faith in EA is temporarily restored XD

Message 6 of 13 (9,195 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Blorglove

Glad that I could help!

The old client does have some limitations, so I would still recommend the updated version. If you run into trouble again, let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

Message 7 of 13 (9,167 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Sadly it was like EA was watching it is sadly fixed you are now forced to have origin 9

Message 8 of 13 (8,858 Views)

★★ Novice

Your "Legacy Version" isn't a true legacy version...
Mine keeps updating, no matter what, then starts crying for Win7 or newer OS.
Is there a downloaded client in a separated folder, which has no need to update, but one still will be able to sign in with its EA account?

Please, help me out.

Message 9 of 13 (5,773 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I realised, that your so called "legacy version" was dumped like a while ago. It makes me a bit sad, when you're "throwing the old and weak" out to advance.
Would you please make a "lite/limited, but online" version, so the retro gamers, like me [despite enjoying newer games like Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) and Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)] could enjoy games like Command & Conquer 2, or those PopCap Games up to the year of 2010?

Message 10 of 13 (5,404 Views)