Re: Cannot change email due to - "ID contains a prohibited word or character"

by eaoneletter

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Hey everyone.

We're currently looking into this, but in the meantime, I have found two specific ways of adjusting your email address which I've verified myself that doesn't hit this issue.

1. If you've ever been a Star Wars: The Old Republic player, head to https://account.swtor.com/user/login and login to your Origin account there. You can adjust your email address at that page.

2. If you've NEVER been a Star Wars: The Old Republic player, please contact Customer Support via hthttps://help.ea.com/contactus and they will work with you to manually change your email address. Please check this step-by-step list for further assistance: [HOW TO] Change email address

Thanks all, and apologies for the inconvenience while we look into this.

Message 21 of 508 (11,626 Views)

★★★ Newbie

fix it fast please!

Message 22 of 508 (10,135 Views)

★★ Novice

I chose to follow the option #2 a week ago, and still no reply.

I am fed up with EA/Origin's customer service.

Message 23 of 508 (10,123 Views)

Email change

★★★ Newbie

How do I change my email on my Origin account, it keeps coming up with an error?

Message 24 of 508 (8,772 Views)

★ Novice

I don't know how your tech team works, if it's based on 'X amount of people need to have this fault first before the problem is fixed' but it's been a while since i've tried doing this and it's still a persisting issue. 

Something as easy as this surely would be a 10 minute fix! 

Message 25 of 508 (10,003 Views)

★ Novice

I tried everything, but email hasn't changed... Frown

Message 26 of 508 (9,984 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried option number two, 15 minutes later i was fixed. In the live chat I was met by this guy that was polite and helpful. 

And to those of You that think this is a 10 minutes fix: It might take 10 minutes to fix, but a lifetime to locate the error..... Whining has never solved a problem!!!  Confusedmileyhappy:

Message 27 of 508 (9,982 Views)

Can't change my email

★ Novice

When trying to change my email I get the following message 'ID contains a prohibited word or character'.

My email contains my name and numbers, nothing that should flag as prohibited. I no longer have access to the email registered and I'm receiving all my bills etc through that email. Im worried about who has access to it and need to change it ASAP. 

Message 28 of 508 (8,803 Views)

Improper email, apparently.

★ Newbie

So I am trying to update my email on origin to my new one, but apparently there is something wrong with my email as it contains an invalid word or something... What do I do? It's kind of my email and regardless of what EAs rules are, my email is my email. What can I do?

Message 29 of 508 (8,776 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

If it takes a **bleep** lifetime to find an error in the code THEY programmed on a simple website then they shouldn't be doing what they do... they should be flipping burgers at mcdonalds or waiting on tables in a rat infested bronx NY diner.  FIX THE **bleep** PROBLEM!! 

Message 30 of 508 (9,618 Views)