Re: Games wont launch

by demnbane

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Games wont launch

★★ Novice

I'm having trouble getting games to launch. I recently purchased three new games, the Mass Effect titles, installed Origin on my computer and started downloading the first one. I cancelled downloading about 10% in because I relised I hadn't changed where I wanted it installed. So I changed that through the settings menu on Origin and started downloading again. Downloaded all fine, when I press play however nothing happens. The play button will grey out for a short while and then just pop back like I never pressed it. I thought maybe I'll try to launch from the file where it is installed, still nothing. Alright, well maybe something went wrong in the download, unistalled through origin (this it managed to do fine) and reintalled. Same issues. I tried installing it in the original folder it would be installed in my program fies etc. But this didn't work either. In my task manager it comes up when I press to play but shuts itself down without an explanation. No error warns or anything come up, it just will not launch.

I've done all the run as administrator, turned off fire wall stuff... not sure where to go now, any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 7 (1,351 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice
@cbauer45 what ended up working for me was running as administrator not from the icon, that did nothing, but from the file where the application is stored

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (1,200 Views)

All Replies

Re: Mass Effect Trio wont launch

★★★★★ Expert

You do not have an "Origin Store" problem.  The Mass Effect games have three individual game players' forums on here, and there are numerous helpful FAQs pinned to the tops of the index pages for those three, so why not pay visits to those places? 

Message 2 of 7 (1,307 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@cottonbud4321 wrote:

In my task manager it comes up when I press to play but shuts itself down without an explanation. No error warns or anything come up, it just will not launch.

I've done all the run as administrator, turned off fire wall stuff... not sure where to go now, any help would be appreciated

@cottonbud4321 

Your reply was added two days ago.  You must read it here at the website.

Message 3 of 7 (1,285 Views)

★ Novice

Just got Mass Effect and done everything I can find on the forums.  The game still wont launch from origins launcher, short cut, or program files.  Can I please get a solution for this issue.  I see it alot on the forums and we all would like a fix.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 7 (1,169 Views)

Community Manager

@demnbane Hi,

Can you describe whether there is an error message or any sort of activity that you noticed on your computer while trying to launch the game?

Any additional info might be helpful.

In order to ensure that no programs are interfering in the background, one thing that you can try is running a Clean Boot: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 5 of 7 (1,156 Views)

★★ Novice
@cbauer45 what ended up working for me was running as administrator not from the icon, that did nothing, but from the file where the application is stored
Message 6 of 7 (1,201 Views)

★ Novice

I ended doing close to what the main help page said about Mass Effect one not being up to date.  I had to create a MassEffect.txt file and then change it to a .exe file and place it on my Mass Effect folder.  Once I did that I was able to get it to work.  I dont know why it works since I just got Mass Effect 3 days go and should have already been the current version but it did.  Hope it helps others out as well.

Message 7 of 7 (1,142 Views)