Re: Game transferal

by Landres20

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game transferal

★ Novice
I am currently building my first gaming pc, and I caught an Origin sale and bought graphic intensive games to test it (BF3/4, Battlefront), but as of now the parts have not arrived. I was wondering if I could download the games on my laptop and pass them on to an external hard drive, that way I wouldnt have to download the games on the new pc (Im eager to play on it, quite impatient) that way I wouldnt have to wait. Can it be done? Thanks on advance to whoever might answer this
Message 1 of 4 (242 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Guide

I've done this a couple of times now! Here's what I find important when transferring Origin Games this way:

Origin defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games. If you have another drive that you are going to store your games on, then you need to change the default location in Origin so it knows where to look. You can do this in the Origin application under Origin > Application Settings > Advanced.

No matter what, Origin is going to verify your game files. This is not as long as downloading and installing the game, so it's best to just grit your teeth and power through it. If the game transfers from the external drive to your new PC without issue and there are no new game updates or patches, then the verification process is going to be very fast. If there were any files damaged or updates pushed through, then there is going to be a little bit of a wait while Origin repairs the files and/or updates the game.

I personally like to keep Origin installed on the same drive as the games, however in the past Origin was pretty angry and prone to issues when installed to another location. It seems to be resolved now, but in the grand scheme of things, Origin is a fairly small program and could be left on the C: drive if you're truly impatient.

I hope my two cents helped!

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (239 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Guide

I've done this a couple of times now! Here's what I find important when transferring Origin Games this way:

Origin defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games. If you have another drive that you are going to store your games on, then you need to change the default location in Origin so it knows where to look. You can do this in the Origin application under Origin > Application Settings > Advanced.

No matter what, Origin is going to verify your game files. This is not as long as downloading and installing the game, so it's best to just grit your teeth and power through it. If the game transfers from the external drive to your new PC without issue and there are no new game updates or patches, then the verification process is going to be very fast. If there were any files damaged or updates pushed through, then there is going to be a little bit of a wait while Origin repairs the files and/or updates the game.

I personally like to keep Origin installed on the same drive as the games, however in the past Origin was pretty angry and prone to issues when installed to another location. It seems to be resolved now, but in the grand scheme of things, Origin is a fairly small program and could be left on the C: drive if you're truly impatient.

I hope my two cents helped!

Message 2 of 4 (240 Views)

★ Novice
Thank you very much CitrusViking
Message 3 of 4 (218 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Landres20

Hi,

Great to see that the community was able to assist you. Thank you, @CitrusViking!

Message 4 of 4 (189 Views)