Game bought from Steam won't launch

by Garylau907

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game bought from Steam won't launch

★★★★ Novice

Hello! I bought the game from Steam yesterday and the game won't be launched. 

When the installation was completed, a warning prompt window popped up - 'Error: There is a problem with your game's setup. Please reinstall the game.'

I have tried the following methods - 

1. Game and Origin were reinstalled on the same drive (not the drive where Windows was installed).

2. DirectX, Visual C++ and the display card's driver were updated to the latest version

3. A clean reboot was tried

4. All game files were validated through Steam and no files were reported missing

5. The game library path in Origin's client was changed to where all my games from Steam were installed (E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common)
(See - https://imgur.com/a/k1vf9sy)

Has anyone encountered this thingie before? Or does anyone know how to get rid of this issue please?

Message 1 of 31 (1,078 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game bought from Steam won't launch

★★★★ Novice

Just got it sorted! Everything is running silky smooth with no errors and warnings popping up.

Turns out I have to install nearly all the versions of Visual C++ from Microsoft to get it worked - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170 , particularly 2012, 2013 and 2015-22's. 

View in thread

Message 30 of 31 (781 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

With which game is it that you are seeing this issue @Garylau907 and are you launching from Steam or Origin?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 31 (981 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko Hey mate. The game I am having issues with is PVZGW2. I have tried open it from both Steam and Origin, but it just gives me the same warning prompt. 

Message 3 of 31 (961 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Garylau907 did you download and install both versions of the VC++ file?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 31 (956 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko Yes I did - they were updated to the latest version yesterday

Message 5 of 31 (950 Views)

Community Manager

Try downloading and installing some of the older VC++ files from the site @Garylau907, in particular those from around the games release to see if that helps.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 6 of 31 (931 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko Unfortunately I just tried to install the 2017 and the 2019 versions C++, but the game still cannot run.

But then I just checked the debug file of the game, and there is a line that keeps repeating - WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(114)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale 

Not sure if that is relevant to the issue.

Message 7 of 31 (909 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Garylau907 let's grab a DxDiag so that I can take a look at your system for anything out of the ordinary: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 8 of 31 (899 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Darko , Thanks for your help.
I just chuck the DxDiag file in to your dm.

Message 9 of 31 (879 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Garylau907 we do not offer any support over DM, you would need to share your DxDiag here.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 10 of 31 (867 Views)