[Feature Request] Origin and Origin Games on Linux!!!

by cRaZy-bisCuiTs

Original Post

Re: [Feature Request] Origin and Origin Games on Linux!!!

★★★ Newbie

I want to support this request. Of course I can use Steam and activate my Keys there(If they have the game on sale), but I really hope, that eA is able to recognise us – the linux users – as a vital part of the gaming community. Most Linux gamers have a few Gigabyte for their windows-gaming.

Yes. I get a Key with almost all hardware for any recent Windows, but to be honest: My Dual-Boot-Time is at least 4 years ago. I use 100% of my PC with Linux. My phone is running Linux. My Webserver is running Linux. I don't want nor need to have Linux. I look forward for the Linux-Builds from Steam, but I would like to see my collection of eA-Published games to run on linux.

The last 2 or 3 years I avoid you eA. You publish a lot of good games, but some "protections" of games freaked me out. After that you released so many Titles, which were not ready. Really. I can live with a year of delay for a game, just to get a good game. I don't care. A release of games with 70% of the promised features and 60% bugs? Really guys. This was one point(Not just from eA) to kill my rare used NTFS-Partition with Windows.

Encourage your Network of developing companies to support Linux. Not just Linux. Get rid of DX and use OpenGL. Almost all mobile plattforms use OGL(Windows isn't really a player on the mobile market). All plattforms support it. Even HTML5-Capable browsers. Really.

I just don't want to waste money for a title I can't play with wine. Or have some ugly bugs in the UI. As I am a developer, I know, that some parts of code, just look like a mess – even for the target plattform – but it's a good habit to get a code-base without in-depth plattform deps.

Thanks for reading.

Support Linux/Unix!

Message 11 of 33 (1,829 Views)

★★ Novice

+1

It shouldnt be hard to port it, theres already a native mac client...

Message 12 of 33 (1,785 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Actually, it's not the simplicity of the effort, but the balance of cost versus anticipated sales, and Linux is so low down the popularity lists that it looks like a negative result.  Android, on the other hand, and IOS, offer far more potential, save that the majjority of hardware is still restrictive in extreme when it comes to graphics. 

Message 13 of 33 (12,104 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

While porting may take extra money, if the inital development was on platform agnostic technologies, like SDL and Opengl rather than directx then 'porting' is a damn sight more cost effective, allows for targeting android, mac and linux as well as windows. Pretty sure PS3 and PS4 run off Opengl as well (not sure about the Wii-U). With Unreal 4 and the New Cryengine all coming to linux its important imho that games being started now should be looking at cross platform in the design phase, not as an after thought, where the cost to bring it to smaller more niche platorms is prohibitive. If by a simple upfront decison you can avoid a large portion of the headaches in multiplatform devlopment then why wouldn't you. Even DICE would like to get in on the linux platofrm.

Message 14 of 33 (1,744 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Actually; now that LinuxMint 17 is out with a full FIVE YEARS SUPPORT, then it seems obvious that with the COMPLETE FAILURE of Windows 8, and the lack of any more security support for Windows XP, then MORE AND MORE users will turn to the new refreshed version of FREE LinuxMint 17.

That should be obvious even to the blind?

Am busy waiting for Origin for Linux to turn up..... Just like it has for STEAM Games for years.

Waiting waiting....waiting....

Buying on STEAM in the meantime...

Message 15 of 33 (1,736 Views)

★★★ Newbie

mee too Will not buy new games even come down on Linux

Message 16 of 33 (1,671 Views)

★★★ Newbie

We will support Steam...Because it is the only support for Linux

Message 17 of 33 (1,670 Views)

★★★ Newbie

actually i have few game like need for speed, and c&c.

I have buy all those game before prism scandal, and all about security and privacy broken.

Now i'm only on linux, to preserve in maximum my privacy, and shoot every program / services able to kill privacy.

I'm sure steam is not so safe when it comes to privacy (money is money), but i keep the idea of steam which is a step forward to more privacy.

I'm sorry but i can't install origin on linux ? I can not play the games for which I paid !

android, ios just like microsoft windows, another horned demon.

As you continue this talk about the profitability of game on linux, I would continue to classify you in this category, there's no way to change that.

Message 18 of 33 (1,663 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You'll see EA, maybe Linux won't be the first desktop distro in a middle term but the community is increasing and now the gaming problem is being mostly solved by Valve. A lot of Linux users (like me) have taken the decission, not to pay a single cent for a game without a Linux version. So, if you don't want our money, it's ok. There are plenty of good games out there.

Message 19 of 33 (1,652 Views)

★★★★ Novice
So, dear EA, any news for your customers? Ah **bleep**, I forgot, you just don't care about us if you can just earn some hundred thousands of USD. You want millions.

Nevertheless, Blizzard used to be my favorite publisher and game studio in the past. Unfortunately they don't care about Linux, too. So f**K you both. I'll go for the good Linux games out there! (:
Message 20 of 33 (1,588 Views)