Re: Extremely Slow Download Speeds

by bolivarvendetta

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Extremely Slow Download Speeds

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi, I have a 300/20 Megabit connection speed, and I'm currently the only one using the internet right now. My download speed is currently 770KB/s, whereas on Steam I average over 35MB/s (Megabytes, not Megabits). Is there something I can try here? Restarting router/computer didn't fix the issue.

My filesystem is NTFS, Origin is being run as Administrator, there is ample space for the game, Battlefield 4, safe-downloading on/off doesn't change the speed at all.

Edit- I was using a 3rd party DNS server (Google), but reverted back to my ISP's.and the download speeds are the same.

2nd Edit- I deleted my hosts file which contained some ad servers, and I opened the ports on my router that Origin said to open, but the download speeds are still extremely slow.

Message 1 of 7 (439 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Thanks Nils for the reply. I'm not running any sort of firewall/security (aside from the usual passive windows defender that windows 10 has).

Something usual however, is that halfway through a livechat with an EA rep the download speed went from 770Kilobytes/sec to over 20megabytes/sec, seemingly at random, and without any intervention from me.

The issue may be fixed for now, but it may not be in the future, as I don't know what exactly is causing it, or if it's my end, or EA's end.

View in thread

Message 3 of 7 (401 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Auxilae Hi there,

From your list you already went through our regular troubleshooting steps. Are you running any security / firewall software at the same time? If so, can you check that they are configured correctly?

A non-exhaustive list of things that could be interfering is listed at the bottom of this article: http://help.ea.com/en/article/connection-troubleshooting-advanced-pc/

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 7 (405 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks Nils for the reply. I'm not running any sort of firewall/security (aside from the usual passive windows defender that windows 10 has).

Something usual however, is that halfway through a livechat with an EA rep the download speed went from 770Kilobytes/sec to over 20megabytes/sec, seemingly at random, and without any intervention from me.

The issue may be fixed for now, but it may not be in the future, as I don't know what exactly is causing it, or if it's my end, or EA's end.

Message 3 of 7 (402 Views)

Community Manager

@Auxilae Ah, thanks for the update, glad to hear that it is working much better again now.

Did this happen at a certain time (just to rule out time based ISP based throttling specifically for our download partners such as Akamai)?

Message 4 of 7 (374 Views)

★★ Novice

The game begun downloading at around 8:30 PM, and finished at around 11:30 PM. At around 11:00PM, PST, the download appeared to behave as normal. I am located in Southern California, and as I said, the ISP is Time Warner Cable. No other service/system such as Youtube/Steam/Blizzard appear to have been affected, only Origin.

I would understand some throttling since most people are home from work, but to go from 35 Megabytes/sec to less than 1 Megabyte/sec doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Message 5 of 7 (370 Views)

Community Manager

@AuxilaeThanks a lot for the additional information, I will be able to follow up with this internally.

I am with you on the throttling.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 6 of 7 (363 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

on blizzards battle net you can fully customize your download speed. i am forced to download a game at 3mb/s when my computer and internet are capable of much higher. it's a real shame that something is not being done about this.

Message 7 of 7 (333 Views)