EA resetting my password

by HarikaHalura

Original Post

EA resetting my password

★★★ Novice

EA keeps forcefully resetting my password against my wishes, claiming to have found "suspicious activity" connected to my account.

Why can't EA just send a warning alerting its users of this "suspicious activity" and advising us to change our password if we want to be safe, like most other companies do? Especial since the email explicitly states they have no reason to suspect this suspicious activity is a breach into my account.

I'm pretty sure I already know what this "suspicious activity" is, and it's me launching a game from my home computer through Frosty, a third party application used to mod the several games single player campaigns.

I know that launching any game through a third party application can be a risk, but it's something I'm actively choosing to do, unlike being forced to reset my password every other day.

This is annoying.

Message 1 of 8 (1,941 Views)

Re: EA resetting my password

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah, just about every time I play Dragon Age: Inquisition or Mass Effect Andromeda, my password get reset.

I use 2-step authentication so I have to enter a key to log in. I would think any attempted access would trigger it.

Message 2 of 8 (1,878 Views)

Community Manager

@HarikaHalura

If you do not use that third party tool, does the password resetting stop?

You may want to review the Terms of Service that you have agreed to with regards to the modification of game files etc.

https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/webterms/US/en/PC/

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 3 of 8 (1,866 Views)

★ Novice

@AuddieD wrote:

Yeah, just about every time I play Dragon Age: Inquisition or Mass Effect Andromeda, my password get reset.

I use 2-step authentication so I have to enter a key to log in. I would think any attempted access would trigger it.

Interesting - these are the only 2 games that seem to trigger it for me as well.

I don't run any mods and I have 2FA enabled too.

Would it be possible to see this "possible suspicious behaviour"

Message 4 of 8 (1,849 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi @EA_Barry , thank you for taking the time to write an answer

I did as you suggested and reviewed the terms of services once again, still finding nothing explicit stating that using mods that fix bugs connected to the single player campaign that EA and the developers have neglected to fix themselves is forbidden. Neither does the terms specifically say that using mods that edit textures within the single player campaign for esthetic purposes is forbidden.

The closest I can find are these lines;

"An Unauthorized Third Party Program is a third party program or file (such as a "addon", "mod", "hack", "trainer", or "cheat") that EA believes (i) enables or facilitates cheating of any type"

"You may not access, copy, modify or distribute any EA Service, Content or Entitlements (as those terms are defined below), unless expressly authorized by EA or permitted by law."

By my understanding a person is permitted by law to modify a game provided they don't do any of the following;

- Distribute a mod that infringes on another games copyright protections.

- Distribute a mod that unlocks features hidden behind a paywall, which would be considered cheating.

- Distribute a mod that alter a multiplayer game to the users advantage, which would be considered cheating.

- Distribute a mod with the intent of making money from that mod, which would be copy right infringement.

There are a few more points I have found, but I feel this will do for now.

So, to recap;

- Modding a game to give yourself a unfair advantage is cheating and forbidden.

- Modding a single player campaign with bug-fixes the publisher and developer has neglected to give their paying customers and original textures that don't use any copyrighted material seem to be within the limit of the law, provided no-one makes money of said mods.

If "suspicious activities" is EA's way of saying "we think you're cheating", I'm sure myself and the other people facing the same problem would much rather be told this directly so we can take the necessary steps to follow EA's guidelines about cheating.

Still, it seems I am not the only person with these problems, and not everyone that has encountered the same problem is modding their game, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

In fact, I've been using Frosty to launch MEA for a while now and never had a problem.

This problem actually started after I tried to install DAI through Origin and it failed to download any of the dlc. I had to uninstall and reinstall DAI several times until it finally succeeded in installing my dlc as it was the only way I could coax Origin into actually giving me access the products I have paid money for. Soon after was the first time my password was reset.

Oh, and I should also mention that when downloading DAI Origin doesn't assign or even download the correct icon but rather gives the game what looks like a green pause button for icon, both in the source folder and for the desktop shortcut.

As I said in my first post;

- Why can't EA just send a warning alerting its users of this "suspicious activity" (and preferably tell us what this "suspicious activity" is rather than giving us no information at all) and advising us to change our password if we want to be safe, like most other companies do? Especially since the email explicitly states they have no reason to suspect this suspicious activity is a breach into my account.

Edit: Whops, published the same post twice

Message 5 of 8 (1,808 Views)

★★ Novice

I've now been forced to reset my password 4 times in the past month or so. The only Origin game I play is Dragon Age Inquisition.

That's it. Four times, and every time it's after I play Dragon Age Inquisition.

How do we stop this EA? None of the reasons you've given make sense, yet no one actually does anything about this.

I'm regretting that I paid money for this, and I'm really regretting that I couldn't just get a disc and hopefully could be done with all of this constant password resetting.

You need to fix this EA.

Message 6 of 8 (1,626 Views)

★★ Novice

i have the same problem, after launching DA:inquisition a few days ago and just now while playing Titanfall 2, it logged me off and reset my password.

and i dont use any thirdperson stuff.

Message 7 of 8 (1,593 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just logged into Dragon Age Inquisition for 1st time in ages and I too got my password force reset. Pathetic!

Message 8 of 8 (1,420 Views)