EA Violated the GDPR, CCPA and Banned This Account For It

by sharp_owl1

Original Post

EA Violated the GDPR, CCPA and Banned This Account For It

★★ Novice

Title. They will not explain why. They are holding my Xbox account hostage. This account was banned after I lost control over it some years ago. In an inaccurate use of my data it was linked to my Xbox account. Now that xbox account has GPU and I can't use EA Play or even unlink this account and delete it. EA has hung up on me multiple times when I try and enact their ToS to terminate my account as their ToS provisions do not allow them to keep an account link. They start talking over me, telling me I am repeating myself and then hang up. That's not ethical to say the least here. In fact, I do not have any e-mail regarding the ban. It has not been explained and they refuse to explain. Note, I've never played anything on this account. I don't even think I own anything but some free games.

This is a public notice to EA that you flat out ignored a GDPR request submitted through your ticketing system. This account is not mine and should not be linked to my Xbox account. You took my GDPR request ticket under Data Privacy, changed it to "Banned or Suspended Account" and had your ToS team review the account. In fact on the phone I was being told I would have to open a dispute to find out what I am disputing. I am not joking. I said do not ever open a dispute unless I am explained the details of what it is they want me to dispute. They still have not told me. They still opened a dispute despite me telling them explicitly to NOT open a dispute or involve their ToS team in my GDPR request. 

EA, unlink the accounts. EA, please adhere to your own ToS. EA, you MUST honor GDPR requests in full. EA, please do not take further hostile action against me such as changing my information, tickets, requests and ignoring my communications and questions about what you are doing with my PII. It has been over 30 days and I have followed all appropriate steps. I consider this a security risk to me and I won't tolerate it. 

EA: There's not a fart in the wind that cares if this EA account is suspended, banned, actioned, whatever it is you won't tell me about. I submitted to you a GDPR request with supplementary information stating such and that regardless of any outcome, the accounts must be linked as the data is inaccurate and must be rectified (point A being that the accounts should never have been able to be linked in the first place). You ignored this request - in a way that seems to imply that you never intended to even honor it - and I've reported you to the EDPS. Your ToS and ToS team has no bearing on this other than upon termination of the agreement between me and EA, only necessary data may subsist and to be sure I'll get your DPO to show me what you're keeping after the fact. After a thorough review of all your ToS, this does NOT include the right to continue holding the means of authentication (bearer token or other OAuth/auth means) that allows my Xbox account to link to this EA account. EA, you must adhere to your own ToS and let me terminate our agreement if I call and request such and confirm the portions that will subsist. So, EA, unlink the accounts.

EA, at this point, if you do not unlink the accounts, I do have a dispute with you, and according to your ToS it must be resolved through arbitration. EA, we both know that this arbitration will be held in California and as a CA resident the CCPA will come into play (it already matters, but nobody seems to care). I hopefully don't need to explain to you guys that you hold absolutely no cards given the GDPR violation and the CCPA, as they both overrule any type of arbitration seeing as you must comply with these legislations. 

Message 1 of 2 (934 Views)

Re: EA Violated the GDPR, CCPA and Banned This Account For It

Community Manager
Hi @sharp_owl1,

I'm showing that you currently have an active case with the Terms of Service team regarding this issue, we cannot assist you with an account that's been banned for any reason over Answers HQ and as such you must wait for the Terms of Service team to reach back out to you via Email on this issue.

This thread is now closed.
EACade
Message 2 of 2 (912 Views)