Re: EA Live Chat Broken?

by Gorath_the_Elder

Original Post

EA Live Chat Broken?

★★★★★ Novice

I've been trying for a couple of days now to get in contact with EA, with the only offered method being the "Live Chat" system.

Despite saying "Less than five minutes" as the wait time, I can leave the window open for hours and never get connected.

So I did some investigating.

I have noticed that the chat will never work as intended as the following error is thrown as soon as the initialize script loads:

"Uncaught TypeError: Object [object global] has no method \'getChatUrl\'"

There are then no ajax calls or refresh timers that would indicate that any further data is sent between the initialise script and the end user.

Anyone else having this issue and, more importanty, know a solution? Without the live chat system I am unable to get hold of support.

I am using Chrome 34.0.1809.0 dev-m

Message 1 of 11 (9,060 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Thanks for the info given. Just to check for a potential browser issue, have you tried Firefox or IE(with Chrome Frame), and if so, do you get the same issue? If this works, does reverting to an earlier version of Chrome help?

If these have no effect, what region are you in and do you use a VPN/proxy?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 11 (9,021 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

OK, so it's a browser issue, but one that makes no real sense.

It wont work in the latest stable chrome either (as I was testing using the dev channel originally).
It also wont work in Firefox (Stable), but will work in Firefox Nightly.

So there's definitely something that needs looking into, code wise - but as for my original issue, I'm now at least able to contact support!

Oh, and incase it helps your engineers at all, I was originally using Windows 7 on a shoddy <1mb connection, but also tested on a stable 6mb connection (to eliminate potential network issues).
UK based, no VPN, no proxies, tried disabling all Chrome add-ons too.

Message 3 of 11 (9,015 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

ok... so not fixed.

When I tested this earlier it started working in Firefox Nightly, but I was at work and thus unable to actually hold a conversation with a support agent.

I am now at home, and ready to talk to an agent, however I cannot even get the initalise window to pop up, the "Chat Now" button is greyed out, and unclickable - with a CSS class of "offline" although it says "less than a five minute wait" underneath.

So, is live chat offline, or just broken?

If it's offline, why is it still given as the recommended (and usually, only) option?

And why are the times when agents are actually online not advertised anywhere obvious?

Message 4 of 11 (9,012 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@dlgltallce wrote:

ok... so not fixed.

When I tested this earlier it started working in Firefox Nightly, but I was at work and thus unable to actually hold a conversation with a support agent.

I am now at home, and ready to talk to an agent, however I cannot even get the initalise window to pop up, the "Chat Now" button is greyed out, and unclickable - with a CSS class of "offline" although it says "less than a five minute wait" underneath.

So, is live chat offline, or just broken?

If it's offline, why is it still given as the recommended (and usually, only) option?

And why are the times when agents are actually online not advertised anywhere obvious?

I see that no one commented about your most recent update, a month ago now.  Outside of the EA Help website, there is (Edit - WAS) another route to reach the Live Chat people in your region.  Start thr Origin software, log in on the Origin site, and look for the Help Menu there.  When I was having trouble of all kinds with browsers and Operating Systems, I could reach the EA Forums without trouble, and asked about my total inability to even Log In at EA Help at the time. 

One of the choices from the Origin System site's software drop-down menu (previously) was Live Chat.  

P. S. Added in Edit a year later:  the Help Menu within the Origin client software has been modified from what it had been, I do not know when, but today, in 2015, it dumps you back in your browser. 

Message 5 of 11 (8,921 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This problem is still there now. And I tried firefox, chrome and internet explorer. I can't get to the chat because the button is greyed out. I tried the instructions about using the origin client to get to the chat but it gives me the same problem. The chat button is greyed out and can't be clicked.

Message 6 of 11 (7,984 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

All but one of EA's websites work quite poorly with Chrome.  Some older versions of IE are similarly poor matches to EA's websites.  When you are having trouble with any other browser other than those, it's frequently plugins causing trouble.  You need the flush your browser's cache completely, and disable all plugins. 

It may be easier to install a virgin copy of a browser than to disable all the plugins.  Safari is the one that I found most reliable when I was having so much trouble myself, almost three years ago now.  I still have a copy installed, but it seems very slow compared to Firefox. 

Message 7 of 11 (7,972 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@dyrl 

I replied to your question. 

Message 8 of 11 (7,948 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Problem (feature?) still exists two years later. The button is still greyed out in mobile (iOS Safari), but I can force it to open. Still, I'm put on waiting queue. 

EA is making it very hard to stay as a loyal customer with them. 

Message 9 of 11 (6,685 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

EA is a * joke. This is why I don't buy * from you! My mom made the mistake of buying the sims 3 and now she can't even play it because you're a bunch of [Inappropriate comment removed - Admin.]

Message 10 of 11 (6,616 Views)