Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen on Startup

by reved251

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen on Startup

★★★ Newbie

Upon startup the screen goes black in a windowed frame then goes full screen black then crashes to desktop.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz  

Installed memory (RAM); 8.00GB

System Type:  64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor

Disk Drive - ST 1000DM003-1CH162

Display Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400

Monitors: Dell #2414H (Analog - VGA)

Processors: (4) Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150CUP @ 3.50GHz

Hope that helps.

Message 1 of 11 (14,658 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: DA: Inquisition Black Screen Question Completed

★★ Novice

Hi Mate

Thanks for the offer to examine this, but I sorted it out myself.

Dxdiag is probably a distraction in any case .. when software goes from working to not working without any system or OS changes my end, it's unlikely to be my machine creating the issue.

In case it helps anyone else, refer to the AVG conflict thread and disable your virus checker for 10 minutes when running the game and it gets in fine.

It's weird - I've never experienced a conflict of this sort with AVG or any other game title, and if there is one, like a false viral positive, it throws up a message so I can create an exception on the spot.

Apparently in this case exceptions don't even work, you have to disable your protection (temporarily) to make DA:I work.

Cheers

View in thread

Message 8 of 11 (15,950 Views)

All Replies

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Black Screen on Startup

★★★★★ Expert

DA: I requires Game Quality components.  Your list of PC specs reveals an ordinary, average Intel IGP, not a Gaming GPU at all, sorry. 

From the official Dragon Age website, the requirements are:

Minimum PC Specs

CPU: AMD quad-core CPU @2.5 GHz / Intel quad-core CPU @2.0 GHz
    System RAM: 4 GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 4870 / NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Graphics Card Memory: 512 MB
    Hard Drive Space: 26 GB
    DirectX 10

Message 2 of 11 (14,600 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@reved251 wrote:

Upon startup the screen goes black in a windowed frame then goes full screen black then crashes to desktop.

Display Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400

@reved251 

Your question was answered here on the website. 

Message 3 of 11 (14,585 Views)

★★ Apprentice

While I agree the performance might not be ideal, I don't the specs alone are enough for the game to crash at launch, and after looking into some harware comparisons, it does not seem that the recommended specs are that much above what the op listed. I have been able to play games like Watch_Dogs and GTA IV on a laptop with 6GB of RAM and an Intel HD Graphics 4000 with a i5 quad core 2.4GHz processor. Obviously not ideal, but it was doable and those games weren't the best optimized and could be quite demanding. Just because hardware isn't advertised as "gaming" doesn't mean you can't play games. I have read TONS of reports of people playing modern games using Intel HD Graphics  4400. There are even videos to watch if you look into it. Not a very constructive response for the op.

Message 4 of 11 (14,364 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

There is no requirement here for help that is nothing but pie in the sky wishful daydreaming.  Intel makes garbage for video, nothing worth having.  Simple as that. 

Message 5 of 11 (14,358 Views)

★★ Novice

What garbage advice

I have this problem also, but my machinery meets spec.  

I played the game (without issue) when it was launched, for a while, then got bored with it.

Just now (a long time later after playing much better games - like Witcher 3) I decide to give DA:I a second chance and try again.

Update Origin, update the game, run the game, black screen like original user describes, then crash to desktop without message.

Searching for a solution is like searching for a needle in a haystack because so many people have a wide variety of problems with this software.

Anyway, garbage, useless advice delivered in an arrogant and off-putting way.  Thanks for nothing.

Message 6 of 11 (14,262 Views)

Community Manager

@CutteringStunt Hi,

Can you post a DxDiag of your system? Instructions are available below:

Spoiler
1.  Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
2.  You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
3.  Type dxdiag in the text field
4.  Click OK
5.  If your computer has a 64-bit version of Windows, click the button Run 64-bit DXDIAG (see screenshot below)
6.  If your computer has a 32-bit version of Windows, that button will not be available

7.  Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
8.  Save this text file to your Desktop if possible
9. Open the text file, select all the text inside (Ctrl + A) and copy it (Ctrl +C).
10. Go to http://hastebin.com/, paste the contents of your DXDiag inside (Ctrl+V) and click Save on the webpage (Ctrl+S).
11. Copy the link of the page in your post, along with a precise description of your issue.

Thank you,

Nils

Message 7 of 11 (14,254 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi Mate

Thanks for the offer to examine this, but I sorted it out myself.

Dxdiag is probably a distraction in any case .. when software goes from working to not working without any system or OS changes my end, it's unlikely to be my machine creating the issue.

In case it helps anyone else, refer to the AVG conflict thread and disable your virus checker for 10 minutes when running the game and it gets in fine.

It's weird - I've never experienced a conflict of this sort with AVG or any other game title, and if there is one, like a false viral positive, it throws up a message so I can create an exception on the spot.

Apparently in this case exceptions don't even work, you have to disable your protection (temporarily) to make DA:I work.

Cheers

Message 8 of 11 (15,951 Views)

Community Manager

@CutteringStunt Hi again,

The DxDiag on Windows 10 contains the 10 latest crash messages from applications, so there is a chance that it would have shown the conflict with AVG.

Very glad to hear that you resolved it already though, thanks for letting us know.

Have fun with the game! Standard smile

Cheers,

Nils

Message 9 of 11 (14,230 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had the same problem too but my fix was to delete the entire Mod folder located at:

Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\Update\Patch_ModManagerMerge

Afterwards I ran DAI Mod Manager again removing any mods that were conflicting and clicking the "Force rescan of Patch" check box in Options section.

That fixed everything, no more crashing upon game load. Apparently the Patch_ModManagerMerge folder somehow got corrupted, so deleting it solved the problem.

Message 10 of 11 (7,679 Views)