Re: Downloading games to wrong drive

by JJohnson2006

Original Post

Downloading games to wrong drive

★★★ Newbie

I've downloaded Origin to my E drive and also set my games library location to E. However every time I try and install a game it downloads it my C drive despite me having told it to download everything to my E drive.  

Message 1 of 9 (11,074 Views)

EA DICE Team

@TyrannoDoodles

Hi there,

Can you try moving Origin itself, to the C drive, and the Origin Games folder to E?

Message 2 of 9 (11,055 Views)

★★★ Guide

Is it actually installing the game to the C: drive or simply downloading to the C: drive?

If it's an older game that requires it's own installer then it would download to wherever you have your "Legacy game installers" folder set as but then install to wherever you set as your game library folder once downloaded - the installer that is downloaded is cleaned up after installation automatically unless you set Origin to keep them.

I admit I don't know exactly which games or how many there are that use "Legacy installers" - it's just a guess at what could be happening, if it's actually installing to the wrong drive then just ignore this.

Message 3 of 9 (11,048 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem, My C: is a very small SDD, and I don't want the games downloading there, I want them on my regular, huge, and empty hard drive.

Message 4 of 9 (11,038 Views)

@stjude7

Create a folder named "Origin Games" (Without the quotes) on your HDD.

(In Origin, menu top left corner > Origin > Application settings > Installs & Saves > On your computer > Game library location > point it to the new "Origin Games" folder > apply.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 9 (11,026 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

That doesn't work. I have it set to "E:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\" but it still only lets me install it to "C:"

EDIT: I can install Battlefield 1 on my E: harddrive, but I can't install my For Honor Deluxe Edition on my E: harddrive. It won't change from C:.

Message 6 of 9 (11,019 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

If you still have that problem there is a workaround for that. Just grab the CD key (you can get it by right clicking the game and choosing game properties) and add it to your ubisoft account and install it through uplay anywhere you want it. Though this is a problem that should not exist.

Message 7 of 9 (11,007 Views)

[ Edited ]

@TommyKarlzzon

If the FH folder is already present on the C drive do this:

If you did not downloaded much simply close Origin and delete the "For Honor" folder on C:.

If you did downloaded a lot:

- Make sure Origin is closed completely.

- rename the FH folder on your C drive to "123"

- Start Origin (Make sure Game Library location is set to  "E:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games")

- Start the download of FH and pause it after 30 seconds.

- close Origin again.

- Move the content of the "123" folder into the FH folder on E. (should be "E:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\For Honor"

- Start Origin and resume the download. (or the installation, depends on how many data you already downloaded to C.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 8 of 9 (10,987 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I had this issue. The Origin download location was set to my D drive, but it always tried to download the legacy launcher to C. However, my C drive is a small SSD with no room, so the download would stall at 11%. After much failed Googling it eventually occurred to me to simply cut "the old republic" folder with the legacy launcher in it on the C drive, paste it in the desired folder on my D drive and launched the "launcher" from there. It then downloaded to the correct drive/location. It was a "I can't believe that worked" moment. I use windows 10, if it matters.

Rough steps (from memory):

-Click download from Origin

-Click on download manager (bottom left) and click the download there, too

-Several installation steps, asks to modify computer to chosen drive

-Accept (and watch as it downloads to C)

-Several installation steps, asks permission to modify and download to C. Deny.

-Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare and "cut" the "star wars - the old republic" folder

-"Paste" into desired folder location

-Open the "star wars - the old republic" folder in the new location and launch the "launcher"

-Several installation steps, asks permission to download to the pasted area

-Proceed as normal

Addendum:

Because it isn't in the normal location anymore, Origin doesn't think you've downloaded it and you can't launch from Origin. You will need to manually launch from the new location. Right click on the desired drive "launcher," create a shortcut and drag it to the desktop so you don't have to keep digging into the drive to launch.

Hope this helps.

Supposition:

Might be an issue with the legacy launcher using it's own defaults rather than origin's.

Complaint::

Over an hour of fighting origin because even though the download was cancelled, I had to go and delete folders manually because it kept thinking it was still downloading. There's a thread about it on here somewhere.

Message 9 of 9 (9,258 Views)