Re: Downloading games in English instead of local versions

by icemount

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Downloading games in English instead of local versions

★★★ Novice

Hello everyone. I'll get straight to the point: I live in Italy but I am an English speaker and wish to play Command & Conquer Ultimate Edition in English, since I hate the inferior localized versions. My questions are:

1) Is there any way to make sure I will get English text and voices when downloading the games from Origin and/or switch language after downloading the game, like on Steam?

2) How does Origin decide which language packs to download? I have seen Italian videos of Command & Conquer Generals on youtube with Italian voices, but my game is in English. Is it because I have the language of the Origin client set to English?

3) If I buy the physical release of the collection (which is just a code in a box) from another country (say, Germany), would that make a difference as far as the language goes?

Please no guesswork, only answer the questions if you are sure of what the answer is, as not to waste anyone's time. Thank you for your kind understanding Wink

...and thank you all for your time and assistance.

Message 1 of 9 (2,285 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@GhostSniper2081 wrote:

1) Is there any way to make sure I will get English text and voices when downloading the games from Origin and/or switch language after downloading the game, like on Steam?

2) How does Origin decide which language packs to download? I have seen Italian videos of Command & Conquer Generals on youtube with Italian voices, but my game is in English. Is it because I have the language of the Origin client set to English?

3) If I buy the physical release of the collection (which is just a code in a box) from another country (say, Germany), would that make a difference as far as the language goes? 

@GhostSniper2081 Hi,

1) When you purchase the game on Origin, the store page will always show you which languages will be available with the game. If you purchase the game while residing in Italy, it appears as if the available language will only be English (US). Please visit this store page here and scroll down to "Lingue supportate" ("Supported Languages") to confirm: https://www.origin.com/store/buy/c-c-the-ultimate-collection/pc-download/bundle/standard-edition

We are working on improving this flow for the future, but for now it works like this:

If multiple languages are listed as available on the store page, you will be able to switch between these by changing your Origin Client language and then re-installing that game. 

2) Yes, it is exclusive based on. However, if the game you purchase does not include an English language version, it should query you after you click install which language you do want to install it in (for singular language games, it might default to that language without giving you a selection query).

3) It might, you will have to carefully check which languages will be included. It will be listed on the game box. From what I can see, the German store version appears to include both the German and English US language version.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (2,306 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@GhostSniper2081 wrote:

@GhostSniper2081 Hi,

1) When you purchase the game on Origin, the store page will always show you which languages will be available with the game. If you purchase the game while residing in Italy, it appears as if the available language will only be English (US). Please visit this store page here and scroll down to "Lingue supportate" ("Supported Languages") to confirm: https://www.origin.com/store/buy/c-c-the-ultimate-collection/pc-download/bundle/standard-edition

We are working on improving this flow for the future, but for now it works like this:

If multiple languages are listed as available on the store page, you will be able to switch between these by changing your Origin Client language and then re-installing that game. 

2) Yes, it is exclusive based on. However, if the game you purchase does not include an English language version, it should query you after you click install which language you do want to install it in (for singular language games, it might default to that language without giving you a selection query).

3) It might, you will have to carefully check which languages will be included. It will be listed on the game box. From what I can see, the German store version appears to include both the German and English US language version.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 9 (2,307 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for your prompt answer, Nils.

So, just to recap: if I understand correctly, the language of the game is dependent on the Origin client language (unlike the store which is IP-based) and were I to buy a code from a foreign retailer I will still have access to the English content, as long as the store language for the country the code comes from mentions English within the supported languages?

Does this mean that if the store page does not mention, say, French, then I would not be able to play the game in French? (sorry if I sound pedantic, I'm just trying to figure out how this language thing works).

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 9 (2,263 Views)

EA Staff

Yes that is correct. You will only be able install and play the game in languages that are included in the version of the game you purchase. For example games purchased in Russia only include Russian and Polish. Most versions of games purchased in central or western Europe include the most common European languages, but always double check on the Store page which languages are included.

Once you have a game that has multiple languages included, the installation language is determined by the language your Origin client is set to (provided that this language is available for the game).

Message 4 of 9 (2,261 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes, and I understand why this is done (the price gap with the Russian market and others). Unfortunately I have been burned before by monolanguage games bought full price here in Italy with bad localizations (Dead Space and Red Alert 3, just to name a couple EA ones and not even mentioning the dozen others by different companies), so I have become very careful, to the point where I only buy physical copies from the UK.

Once again, thank you, the assistance is much appreciated.

Message 5 of 9 (2,254 Views)

Community Manager

Buying physical copies from a reliable retailer is the best way to go given the current circumstances.

Enjoy!

Message 6 of 9 (2,243 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

I live in Germany but the only languages that are suported here are the german language and that is sad because I can't speak german. Is there any way to choose the language to my choosing

regards,

Ahmed

Message 7 of 9 (2,177 Views)

Community Manager

@ahmed_guderian Hi Ahmed,

Some games will include the English version, and you will always be able to see that prior to purchasing. Either on the Origin store, or if you are buying a physical copy, the box will state whether an English version of the game is included.

Is there any specific game you are wondering about currently?

If it is only listed as having German available, another option would be to instead import the game, for example from www.amazon.co.uk

You can read more about our partners here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/where-to-buy-ea-games-v2/

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 8 of 9 (2,161 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

How are we to use the Origin Access benefits in that way ??

I am sorry but it is about time you allow us to buy (even for extra cash) for international versions with full European language set selection via Origin.

Icemount

Message 9 of 9 (2,086 Views)