Changing account details after email was hacked.

by chiaroscuros

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Changing account details after email was hacked.

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I need to know who I can speak to in order to change my account details if my email address has been hacked.

The email linked to my Origin account was hacked. The hacker used this to take control of my social media accounts and various websites. I still can't get access to the email account (the email provider is simply ignoring my requests) but I managed to regain access to everything important, and changed the linked email account/passwords on each of them. All of them but Origin.

Thankfully, the hacker hasn't changed my Origin login details (yet) and I still have access to my account, but for obvious reasons I need to change the email address and password linked to my Origin account. This is where the problem starts. I initially spoke to live chat who said they can't help but directed me to send a ticket to the account recovery department.

I've sent several tickets, each time I get the below reply. No matter what I asked, how I asked it, or what information I provided, I got the same reply.

We couldn’t grant access to this account based on the info you shared. We can only verify the account using the info that was given to us when the account was set up.

If you can get access to your email or share more info, let us know by filling out a new form at help.ea.com/account-recovery/web-form.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience. We know not having access to an account is frustrating. We’re extra cautious because we want all player info to be as safe as possible. Thanks for sticking with us.

I spoke to live chat again who told me they still can't help, but I just needed to give more information to the recovery team. I decided to fill in the long form one last time, adding as much additional information to prove my identity as I could. Below is the list I provided...

• Email Address
  • Phone Number
  • Platform
  • Date of Birth
  • EA Account Creation Date
  • Origin ID
  • List of last 5 game purchased (with date/time of purchase)
  • Details of last 2 purchases (date/time of purchase, price, platform etc...)
  • 3 Product Keys of games activated on Origin (with date/time of activation)
  • Screenshot of my bank statement showing most recent purchase (with my name and address)

Is there anything else I can provide to the recovery team which won't get me the generic reply each and every time? I've asked them to please advise what information they need, but they just send the same reply.

I'm at the end of my rope, any advise is really appreciated!

Message 1 of 10 (3,036 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Changing account details after email was hacked.

Community Manager (retired)

Hey there, @chiaroscuros.

From here, the best recommendation is to try the Account Recovery Web Form again. They're the only team that can verify an account outside of the registered email address. This is to ensure the security of your account. Please try to supply as much information as possible regarding your account and where you've played from.

Good luck!

Arrenai Cat

Did you receive an awesome, helpful response? Thumbs up +XP!

Was your issue resolved by a great post? :eahigh_file: Accept as Solution

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

View in thread

Message 7 of 10 (2,858 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Hi,

If you think your account is hacked please go to the link below:

https://help.ea.com/en-tr/help/account/i-think-somebody-hacked-my-origin-account-what-can-i-do-now/

If your account is still compromised or you cannot enter to your account:

1. Head to https://help.ea.com/tr/contact-us/
  2. Select Origin as the product
  3. Select your platform
  4. Select “Manage my account” as the topic
  5. Select “Hacked account” as the issue.
  6. Select one of the options to talk with EA

CM edit, the EA Help site has been updated. For support, please visit the EA Help website. For instructions on how to use the EA Help services, please refer to How to use EA Help.

Message 2 of 10 (3,014 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for the reply.

My account isn't hacked (yet), the email address linked to my account was hacked and I no longer have access to it.

Is there any way to change my email address without access to that email address?

Message 3 of 10 (2,984 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Well, you could either cotact the developer of your e-mail adress or contact EA in https://help.ea.com/en/ but I don’t know what they will do?

Message 4 of 10 (2,954 Views)

If you have a secondary email set for your EA account, you can use that as a backup. It's highly recommended to have a backup email in case you lose access to your primary email.

I also recommend that if you don't have access to the primary email, to reach out to your email provider and work to recover the email account. Emails are very important to ensure security for, because through your emails, they can find out what services you were signed up with under that email, which can include financial sites like banks or PayPal. With that information, it puts those accounts in danger.

Arrenai Cat

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 5 of 10 (2,933 Views)

★ Novice

@EA_Arrenai@Indigojack16 

Thanks for your replies.

I attempted to contact the email host (AOL) several times and they simply don't reply. I fully understand the security implications, as stated in the original post quite a few of my online accounts were also compromised because of this. Thankfully they all managed to help me secure my accounts, all except for EA that is.

Unfortunately I don't have a secondary email, adding one now requires verification through the compromised email. Is there anyone who can assist? I know you can request a call-back if you're in the USA or Canada, is there anything like that for the UK?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 10 (2,876 Views)

From here, the best recommendation is to try the Account Recovery Web Form again. They're the only team that can verify an account outside of the registered email address. This is to ensure the security of your account. Please try to supply as much information as possible regarding your account and where you've played from.

Good luck!

Arrenai Cat

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 7 of 10 (2,859 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks @EA_Arrenai,

I'm currently speaking with an agent via social media instead, they seem a lot more helpful. I genuinely believe the people who receive the support tickets are inundated with requests so they just close the majority with the pretence that not enough information was supplied. As stated previously, I even supplied bank statements but just got the same response.

Thanks for your assistance anyway, it was much appreciated Standard smile

Message 8 of 10 (2,827 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same issue as you, I have access to my account (for now) but I cannot change my Email Address to my new one, because I don't have access to my hacked email. Can I please get contact info for EA support or something so I can sort this issue out and feel safe knowing my games are secure?

I only have so much there, but I'd hate to have to buy them all again and lose all my hard earned progress.

I can provide information about my account while I still have access to it, I'd be thankful to get this issue resolved.

Message 9 of 10 (2,780 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey there, @SpaceWeasel95.

For support, please visit the EA Help website. For instructions on how to use the EA Help services, please refer to How to use EA Help.

Please let us know how it goes!

Arrenai Cat

ASK. ANSWER. LEVEL UP.

Message 10 of 10 (2,757 Views)