Can't uninstall game due to corrupted files.

by dposse

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't uninstall game due to corrupted files.

★★★ Newbie

I have Dead Space on Origin. I uninstalled it once, but then i had to do a system restore on my PC due to an error i caused. When my system rebooted, Dead Space was still there. When i attempted to uninstall it again, it said the game files were corrupt and i needed to repair it. There is no option to "repair" a game in Origin.

https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-the-system-file-checker/

I tried that, but it didn't work. so, what do i do now? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 9 (14,771 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't uninstall game due to corrupted files.

Community Manager

@dposse Hi again,

What happens if you attempt to uninstall the game from Programs in Windows?

Cheers,

Nils

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (16,670 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@dposse  Hi,

First off, please make sure you start Origin with Administrator rights: http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/

Next please right-click the game tile under the "My Games" tab and select "Repair Game".

Are you able to progress now?

If you cannot, please re-start Origin with administrator rights then just right click the game tile and choose uninstall. Next download and install the game once more and report back here.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 2 of 9 (14,751 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for your comment, @EA_Nils. Unfortunately, that doesn't solve my problem. I am already an administrator on my Windows 10 PC. I tried right clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator" as i opened Origin, but it had no effect. The repair option does not seem to appear when i right click my installed games.

Message 3 of 9 (14,740 Views)

Community Manager

@dposse Hi,

Right click the game tile and choose uninstall. Next download and install the game once more and report back here.

If that option is not available, I would recommend to clear your Origin cache to see whether that lets you proceed.

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Let me know how you get on afterwards.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 4 of 9 (14,722 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This had quite a strange effect, @EA_Nils. I did as you requested by deleting the cache and restarting my computer. I went back to Origin and attempted to uninstall Dead Space again. As you can see from this screenshot, the game went from over 7GB to 58.6MB. I'm not sure how this happened or why, but it did. As you can see from this second screenshot, the option to "repair" still doesn't exist. When I tried to Uninstall the game just now, the same error popped up saying the file was corrupted and to repair it.

Message 5 of 9 (14,707 Views)

Community Manager

@dposse Hi again,

What happens if you attempt to uninstall the game from Programs in Windows?

Cheers,

Nils

Message 6 of 9 (16,671 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have been trying to uninstall Dead Space and get the same message:  Corrupted Game File prevents uninstall.  Please repair.  I am running WIndows 10 Home with all updates.  I have followed all the steps listed below (run as administrator, repair, uninstall same message;  the 12 steps listed, restart, administrator, uninstall with error, repair, uninstall with error message).  Also have tried uninstalling from Windows Apps, same game file corruption message.  More ideas short of editing the registry?

Message 7 of 9 (13,900 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same issue I am having with attempting to uninstall 2 games I got through Origin file.   I deleted the Origin and Anthem files when my prepaid time on Origin/Anthem expired a few days ago.

Why should I expect things to work correctly on Origin/Anthem.  That game was one cluster and it continues to be no different.

Message 8 of 9 (9,095 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Gnu7653 this thread is a number of years old so I have locked it.

If you are having an issue then please create a new thread with as much information as possible and we will do what we can to assist.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 9 of 9 (9,063 Views)