Can't install Origin Windows XP SP3

by danpot91

Original Post

Can't install Origin Windows XP SP3

★ Novice

OK 

Trying to install to XP.

Go to download page, download the XP version from the link above the OS selection boxes.

Install that and it complains that it cant find an internet connection and I should download the latest version (which wont work on XP at all).

I would use a later OS but several of the games I use via Origin only work on XP so I have no choice.

I have tried all sorts, nothing works.

Even uninstalled Internet Security software (kasperski total security) and disabled windows firewall - no joy there either

Message 1 of 12 (3,761 Views)

Re: Can't install Origin Windows XP SP3

Community Manager

@danpot91

Please uninstall any version of Origin you currently have installed.

Once that is done, download and install this Legacy version of Origin and let us know how you get on. Thanks.

https://www.dm.origin.com/download/legacy

barry.png
Message 2 of 12 (3,732 Views)

★ Novice
Tried that. Even cleared down any reference to origin in registry and hard disk folder structure.
Didn't help
Message 3 of 12 (3,708 Views)

Community Manager

@danpot91

Something small but possibly important, do you have your Windows time and date set correctly?

barry.png
Message 4 of 12 (3,676 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am also having this problem,  I know Origin dropped support for XP - however I have paid for Games that were designed to run on this OS through Origin.  I know Windows XP is dated and off support, though I only boot that OS for playing older games and is mostly off the network, except when trying to download the games off Origin.  Also like previous users I have tried many things to get this working.  from fresh install, installing on virtual machine to eliminate HW, checking router, checking internet setting, date and time.  Origin please fix this. 

Message 5 of 12 (3,532 Views)

★★★ Newbie

is there a fix for this? I am running into the same problem and can't launch origin. Ive downloaded the legacy one checked time and date uninstalled reinstalled checked firewall, turned off antivirus. nothing is working please help!

Message 6 of 12 (3,300 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did anybody find a solution for this? I am having the same problem

Message 7 of 12 (3,110 Views)

★★ Novice

Same problem here. All done as said above and still this problem appears. Nothing works Frown((. I hope it get a fix soon. As I was ready to but Mass Effect 3 DLC's. Now I can't even play ME3 without the origin client active, which is damn painful. It is said it should work on Windows XP in specification, sooo please make it happen Origin and EA.

Message 8 of 12 (3,082 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello,

This is something you could try from my experience.  Its probably something to do with Direct X or a simple compatibility issue.

First thing i would try is changing the compatibility of the Install game .exe.  You need to 'right click' the game exe or shortcut, goto properties.  Then at the top of the window you will see a compatibility tab. Click that and you should see a drop list of operating systems to choose from.  Obviously Windows XP is what you want.  Then apply and load game as normal using the adjusted shortcut.  This could work. If it does, weyhey!!  
If it didnt work for you, then next thing is to check your Direct X version installed. To run DX diag, Goto start menu/run drop list, then type 'dxdiag' and it should load up for you. Then run the test.  
This will let you know what version your Windows XP has. It could be out of date as SP3 doesnt have the latest version. I could be wrong.
Okies, if out of date, try and get the latest. This is the file name or there abouts

directx_jun2007_redist

There is another file you may need which is called dotnetfx from Microsoft. The file i have here is called

dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64

Try those two files from Microsoft manually as support for auto updates were dead donkey yonks ago :-)

Should work and happy days if it does.   

Baz from UK and got hacked Origin account. This name on left is not me but i cant change it back.  I managed to figure out how to get back into my account, but that damn security question problem is doing my head in.  

Anyways good luck dude

Message 9 of 12 (3,077 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem. I bought mass effect 3 and wanted to install it. After installing origin it wants to be updated to version 8.5..... but then error occures. I downloaded "origin thin setup" but then connection error ocurred. I downloaded full version of origin but then another error : "this program is not  for win32".

Despit I bouth original game I can't play it !!! it is plain nonsense.

Anyway I'm happy that i tested it on my old computer, and now Im sure that I will not buy new pc but PS3 or xbox. Anyway I will not buy anything from EA anymore.

Anything i could do is to create account do send this post. It's silly !

Message 10 of 12 (2,919 Views)