Buying a game under my account to gift for Christmas

by jrstinkfish

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Buying a game under my account to gift for Christmas

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello. I am looking to take advantage of the current 30%-off code to buy my wife the Sims 4 Cats & Dogs expansion for Christmas. Sending it as a gift is not an option, since Origin does not allow you to delay the gift email and it would not be much of a Christmas gift if she got it tomorrow Standard smile I am wondering if I can buy the game under my account, but not "activate" it (assume it does that on first launch), and give her the redemption code, if there even is one for Origin EA purchases, on Christmas to activate it under her own account? 

Message 1 of 4 (1,140 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Buying a game under my account to gift for Christmas

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@jrstinkfish Hi, unfortunately this isn't something the system can do. The codes are redeemed on the account as soon as they're purchased, and DLC can't be gifted anyway.

In this case your options are to get it for her early, or to grab a physical copy for Xmas day. Unfortunately the physical copy would lack the 30% discount.

Sorry that I don't really have an optimal solution here.

Personally in similar circumstances with my significant other the game was just given ASAP but with a promise to not play until Xmas holidays start. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,487 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@jrstinkfish Hi, unfortunately this isn't something the system can do. The codes are redeemed on the account as soon as they're purchased, and DLC can't be gifted anyway.

In this case your options are to get it for her early, or to grab a physical copy for Xmas day. Unfortunately the physical copy would lack the 30% discount.

Sorry that I don't really have an optimal solution here.

Personally in similar circumstances with my significant other the game was just given ASAP but with a promise to not play until Xmas holidays start. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 4 (1,488 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Why hasn't this ability been added yet. It's been 2 years. Please upgrade your system to allow delayed gifting. I wanted to buy a bunch of expansion packs for Christmas gift. 

Message 3 of 4 (692 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @3ActingOut I'm locking this thread as it is a couple of years old at this stage.

I will pass your feedback on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 4 (634 Views)