Bug found and fixed slow Windows login screen cause "Origin web helper"

by 1AGRESSOR

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Bug found and fixed slow Windows login screen cause "Origin web helper"

★ Guide

Origin web helper is by default set to automatic but not running in that case Windows logon screen stays for almost 1min

but if you disable it Windows logon screen stays for 3-5 sec

http://i.imgur.com/2WBUOfw.png

with origin client and origin web helper service disabled origin works fine

origin version 10.0.1.20627 - 479379  ( first version with new interface would not remember settings they would reset on every origin restart - still testing current version )

i really like new interface but probably some rearrangement would be good

bad things are:

slower startup

more processes when 2 of them ended everything still works fine 

huge ram eater

way to many services and processes many of them not required for full and normal operation only thing they do is eat ram

Message 1 of 16 (3,728 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Bug found and fixed slow Windows login screen cause "Origin web helper"

EA DICE Team

@1AGRESSOR

I took this feedback as being related to the beta, correct? I will forward it to the Origin team for review. 

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Enjoy your weekend!

View in thread

Message 2 of 16 (3,928 Views)

All Replies

Re: Bug found and fixed slow Windows login screen cause "Origin web helper"

EA DICE Team

@1AGRESSOR

I took this feedback as being related to the beta, correct? I will forward it to the Origin team for review. 

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Enjoy your weekend!

Message 2 of 16 (3,929 Views)

Re: Bug found and fixed slow Windows login screen cause "Origin web helper&

★★★ Novice

In my case originWebhelperservice is heavily slowing all services boot.

It goes fast throught the login screen for me but after that... MS Security Essentials (MSSE) is unable to instantly boot (shows red icon like it's off).

It is delayed by originwebhelper and after few moments MSSE will go green.

But it's not only MSSE but also the network services too - first the network is connecting too long then it will keep showing connection problems until I restart network adapter...

If I turn originwebhelperservice to manual (or disabled) startup then everything works fine.

And more importantly is that this broken service will turn it on each origin update...

We don't need some broken WEB helper that affects OS that hard. Please remove it.

Message 3 of 16 (3,666 Views)

EA DICE Team

@bf3gogiii

If you have further feedback to add then you can send it to the Origin team directly via the client by clicking on the Send Feedback button:

Feedback

Message 4 of 16 (3,652 Views)

★★ Novice

I rebooted after update and windows hung on boot screen,  Windows logs showed that web helper service failed to start correctly.    

I went into origin and turned off web helper service  and rebooted  same thing happened slow boot and error message. 

Finally went into program files x86    origin and  renamed  webhelperservice.old   rebooted computer  now boot is normal  and no error in logs .

I think this is caused by web helper service trying to go online to soon and causing the problem before everything has fully loaded or bad code.   Jon

Message 5 of 16 (3,571 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here on Windows 8.1. It dramatically slows down my startup time of Windows. I never got a Please Wait after initial Asus laptop boot screen but immediatly got my Logon screen due to SSD for fast startup. Now with the recent released Origin Web Helper Service (and Client) enabled It slows down, showing a (Ogenblik wachten AUB = Please Wait) screen for at least a full minute before I can logon. My Original bootup time is more like 10-15 seconds.

So EA please dive into this and Fix your Services slowing down bootup time.

Message 6 of 16 (3,278 Views)

★ Guide

Here these might help reduce the pain

make new text document with notepad inside copy/paste these  ( including quotes )

sc delete "Origin Web Helper Service"
sc delete "Origin Client Service"

now go to File/Save As...  

than name the file and at the end add ".bat"

EXAMPLE   "Delete Origin Service.bat"

save it on desktop or where ever you want

than just click on it and it will delete Origin services

NOTE

after every Origin update/install/reinstall services get added again so each time some of these things occur just click again on that file to delete services again

Message 7 of 16 (2,938 Views)

★ Guide

They fixed it Standard smile

in Origin Version 10.2.2.60207-0

service still start automatically and process shows briefly in task manager but it ends automatically and slow log in screen is not the issue anymore

Message 8 of 16 (2,679 Views)

★★★ Novice

1AGRESSOR, No, they didn't fix it.

The first boot after update sets their service back to autostart (had it in manual mode so it won't boot), but it didn't start this time.

And still this made my system boot slower, showing connection problems and MSSE red icon (read my older post).

I'm pretty sure that if I leave it auto and reboot one more time it will start and I end up restarting network adapter.

This must be fixed! The service seems to be optional. Why do they force it to launch?

Message 9 of 16 (2,633 Views)

★ Guide

@bf3gogiii

1. what is MSSE ?  do you mean Microsoft Security Essentials? if yes than you are the first person i know that uses that sht

2. check in services if  "System Event Notification Service" is on automatic and running because when it is disabled causes even more delay in log on screen than Origin did

Message 10 of 16 (2,529 Views)