Alice madness returns won't launch

by VirtualYetti

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Alice madness returns won't launch

★★★ Newbie

So I bought Alice: Madness returns because I wanted to replay it, thing is the game won't launch... every time I try and launch the game a message pops up saying "There is a problem with your games setup, please reinstall your game" by now I've reinstalled the game about 7 times with admin/ without anti-virus/ Clearing the origin cache/ doing it in a clean boot and still nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this? 

Message 1 of 17 (18,892 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Alice madness returns won't launch

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I finally figured out a solution to my issue. Seems it was related to DirectX. Here's how I solved it:

1) I started without Origin or the game installed on my computer. Not sure if either of those steps is necessary but wanted to start fresh.

2) I downloaded the older DirectX files from Microsoft's site.

3) I extracted the files to my Downloads folder and then ran DXSETUP.exe. Apparently, this added some older DirectX files to my system that are required by some older games like Alice.

4) I restarted my computer.

5) I re-downloaded and installed Origin.

6) I re-downloaded and installed Alice.

7) And after a few seconds it launched!

Note that before taking those steps, I'd already installed the .NET Framework 3.5 (which I think I was prompted to do during Origin's original installation of Alice), and I'd already installed the C++ packages for x86 and x64.

Again, I'm not sure what combination of those fixes was required, but it definitely seems that the DirectX fix was the key to making it work. Hope this helps!

View in thread

Message 5 of 17 (18,313 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @VirtualYetti,

This error is unfortunately not super specific and can pop up for quite a few different reasons.

Given what you've already tried here, it may help try try running Origin and/or the game in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

I'd also check to be sure you have updated versions of Visual C++ as that's another cause I've seen for this error in certain situations. You'd want to try downloading and installing both the x64 and x86 versions over on this Microsoft support page.

Mako.png
Message 2 of 17 (18,878 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I did everything but keeps not working.

Message 3 of 17 (18,534 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same problem here. Just bought the Complete Collection on Humble Bundle. It downloads and installs on Origin but keeps saying there’s an error with setup. Tried reinstalling, compatibility mode, deleting cache, installing C++, and nothing works.

Message 4 of 17 (18,331 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I finally figured out a solution to my issue. Seems it was related to DirectX. Here's how I solved it:

1) I started without Origin or the game installed on my computer. Not sure if either of those steps is necessary but wanted to start fresh.

2) I downloaded the older DirectX files from Microsoft's site.

3) I extracted the files to my Downloads folder and then ran DXSETUP.exe. Apparently, this added some older DirectX files to my system that are required by some older games like Alice.

4) I restarted my computer.

5) I re-downloaded and installed Origin.

6) I re-downloaded and installed Alice.

7) And after a few seconds it launched!

Note that before taking those steps, I'd already installed the .NET Framework 3.5 (which I think I was prompted to do during Origin's original installation of Alice), and I'd already installed the C++ packages for x86 and x64.

Again, I'm not sure what combination of those fixes was required, but it definitely seems that the DirectX fix was the key to making it work. Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 17 (18,314 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just downloaded from that link, installed the dx files and rebooted.. It works fine without having to do any of the other steps or re install the game. Thanks. 

Message 6 of 17 (18,033 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@thesolosailor Yep, this works. Thank you so much!
Message 7 of 17 (17,790 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much!!!! It finally worked, I thought I would never play it again Standard smile

Message 8 of 17 (16,584 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@thesolosailor Thank you so much! I tried everything and none of those worked until I did this! So thank you! I was about to lose mi mind
Message 9 of 17 (16,109 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@thesolosailor That worked for me. The game works after the DXSetup installation. No need to restart or reinstall in my case. Thanks!

Message 10 of 17 (15,898 Views)