Re: Ability to purchase non-localized games

by Hawke_404

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Ability to purchase non-localized games

★ Novice

Hey guys,

I just purchased Battlefield 4 on origin. Nowhere during the checkout process did it say that the game will only be available in Russian and, for some inexplicable reason, in Polish (of all, right?) languages. I would not mind paying more for getting the original non-localized (English) version, but I did not see this option anywhere.

If you want a great reason why I prefer non-localized games, please pay attention to this page and the "problem" dropdown selector in russian:
https://help.ea.com/ru/contact-us/new/?product=battlefield-4&platform=pc

which says 'приказы', which I can only assume is for 'orders', except 'приказы' mean orders as in military orders or executive orders, and by no means store orders. Who paid for crappy translation? You did. And I don't want to.

In conclusion please point me to the feature that would let me choose the game in the preferred language or I will be forced to return it.

Thanks,
Alex.

P.S. I am growing more and more unhappy with the services that content providers such as origin (and others, who shall remain nameless, but we all know them) provide. I want to act grown up and pay for my games and instead I get locked into horrible terms, DRM software which wants to take up resources on my PC, prevents me from playing games when not online, unscheduled updates, privacy violations, you name it.

Message 1 of 4 (350 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware you can't get an English version in Origin if you bought it in Russia (I assume you did). I am pretty certain that this policy has something to do with people buying games from 'cheaper' areas (like Central/Eastern Europe) on a mass scale in order to pay less in the past. 

By the way, featured languages are shown in overview which is a part of product description in Origin Store.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (345 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware you can't get an English version in Origin if you bought it in Russia (I assume you did). I am pretty certain that this policy has something to do with people buying games from 'cheaper' areas (like Central/Eastern Europe) on a mass scale in order to pay less in the past. 

By the way, featured languages are shown in overview which is a part of product description in Origin Store.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 2 of 4 (346 Views)

★ Novice

>>By the way, featured languages are shown in overview which is a part of product description in Origin Store.

I mean what's the russian for "duh", after you scroll through all the pictures and suggestions and other irrelevant information... in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.'

I don't think there is a point in going on about whether or not origin could easily track where people typically log in from and so on.. just like the other content providers they seem to care very little about actual factual bugs and problems, never mind the minor grievances.. but it is upsetting that I can not get the content I want and for which I am willing to pay -- and as I said I would like to be able to purchase the english version even at a premium.

I found a post that suggested that buying a license code from a us/uk store may get you the english version, has anyone had any experience doing that?

I might try that and if it does not work.. well, there goes your market segmentation, Origin, right back to my bank account.

Message 3 of 4 (331 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It works, unless the store tracks your address (info on the credit card) and sells you a locked version without any warning (GreenManGaming is NOT recommended).

I purchased a physical/box  ROW version of Dragon Age: Inquisition and English was available for installation (2 titles shown in the library, normal and pl-ru). I guess, the lock is on the code and not on the account, thus if you purchase a ROW code, you'll get a ROW game, regardless of location.

Though, it would be preferable to be able to buy any version on Origin. I do hope that EA will reconsider it eventually.

Message 4 of 4 (297 Views)