Re: 3 Mass Effect 2 DLC won't Install on Origin

by jpegJustice

Original Post

Accepted Solution

3 Mass Effect 2 DLC won't Install on Origin

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I didn't put this under Origin as a mistake, because this problem isn't caused by the actual game. I had Mass Effect 2 on Steam before I had Origin. I finished the game, but then realized I could get 5 free DLC's with my Cerberus Network Key when I clicked New Content Available on the game's main menu. After downloading the DLC's, they didn't work since they hadn't installed yet. I didn't know this, so I asked around my friends and they said to double click the DLC's as applications in your folders to install them, which worked for all of them but 2 for some reason even though they were all from the same site. Then they were installed (but not 2 of them), but not in the right folder so I moved them. Before I tried out to see if they worked (since I got caught up with trying to download Origin for my Mass Effect 3), I linked my Mass Effect 2 to my Origin by using the product key provided in Steam. When I clicked on information for Mass Effect 2, it said I could install these DLC's (though I thought I installed them already?). Now, for all of the DLC's except the 2 that didn't work before, they are stuck at "finalizing download," and make no progress. When I switch from a download that isn't installing to another download, the option by the download I was just at then displays "Ready to Install" rather than the usual "Download," but nothing happens when you click it so you have to go into Task Manager to fully close Origin and bring it back for the option to change back to "download." Wondering if there is a fix for this? Thanks Standard smile

The 2 DLC's that wouldn't install before but now work (edit: aren't working either now) are the Cerberus Weapons and Armor and the Normandy Crash Site, and the 3 I installed but wouldn't install with Origin are the Firewalker Pack, the Cerberus Arc Projector, and Zaeed: The Price of Revenge.

Message 1 of 26 (16,601 Views)

Accepted Solution

EA DICE Team

@jpegJustice

So I think the issues that you're experiencing might still be related to having an Origin and Steam version of the game. For example, the Steam version of Dragon Age: Origins is not compatible with the Origin DLC. So for the Steam version of Mass Effect all DLC would have to be downloaded and installed via the Bioware Social website. The Origin DLC might be incompatible or give errors.

If you keep struggling with getting the content to work then I would recommend to contact our EA Advisors via EA Help. They will be able to review your game license to see if we can update it to an Origin one. In which case you should have no problem downloading the DLC.

Below you can find more information on navigating our website:

Start with selecting your country of residence to setup your contact. If your country isn't listed you should select either United States or United Kingdom.

Country.PNG

Now follow the numbered steps as shown in the picture. If you are unable to login you will also be able to create an anonymous case at this point.

Login.PNG

• The final page doesn't load? press F5 on your keyboard to reload the page or try another browser.
  • You get no contact options? you are most likely trying to contact the selected channel outside of operating hours.
  • Your country has no phone number? use a voIP program such as Skype to contact our UK channel via +44 203 0141818.

I hope this gets it sorted for you. But if you have any further questions or updates then feel free to reach out to us again.

View in thread

Message 10 of 26 (21,246 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice

UPDATE: All of these DLC's installed, but right after, when I'd go to my Mass Effect 2 information, it would say "Add to Downloads" as if they were never installed. When I click this, they finish within seconds and then it keeps going on in a cycle of "Add to Downloads." Help? < : )

Message 2 of 26 (16,582 Views)

EA DICE Team

@jpegJustice

Hi, we meet again..

Could you please clear your Origin Cache, and afterwards start Origin as administrator? Origin should now verify your DLC again and, if necessary, should be able to download and install them with the correct permissions on your system.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Message 3 of 26 (16,563 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Straatford87 Hi again :P I guess I've been having a lot of Origin problems

Welp, I cleared my cache and and opened Origin as administrator, but the cycle is still continuing. Should I delete my DLC's and try to download them from Origin and start over?

Message 4 of 26 (16,550 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

UPDATE: I launched my Mass Effect 2 with my Steam account and all DLC's worked except for the Blood Dragon Armor, the Terminus Armor, and the 3 helmets! Based on what the game told me, do I just launch Mass Effect 2 with Origin for the DLC that haven't worked? Thanks everyone Standard smile

Edit: Since the 3 Mass Effect 2 DLC's that I originally had problems with now work, I think the problem is solved! Though I would like my apparel stuff, at least it doesn't interfere with the story x)

Message 5 of 26 (16,541 Views)

Community Manager

@jpegJustice Thanks for the extra info. It sounds like having the game on both systems is a factor in the odd behaviour. 

If you restart with a Clean Boot (and specifically with Steam disabled) does that change the download behaviour? The 2 programs generally coexist quite peacefully, but there can be some odd behaviour when there are different versions of the same game on the same system. Can I check what's the file location in Windows for your ME2 install?

Can you try downloading some DLC for any other Origin games as a test, and see if that also has issues?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 26 (16,527 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_David

In my files, my Mass Effect 2 files are under This PC/Documents/BioWare/Mass Effect 2, and the application itself I couldn't locate in my files for some reason, even though I know it's there some where. And earlier in this post I mentioned how my downloads keep going in a cycle, and even after the Clean Boot it keeps going. I tried out some Origin downloads as you suggested but they still aren't working out < : )

Message 7 of 26 (16,523 Views)

Community Manager

Hmm, I think tracking down the downloads should help shed some light. 

You can check Origin > Application Settings > Advanced to see this intended install location for games through Origin. 

If you have no luck with this, when I'm trying to clear/manage disk space I user a 3rd party program called WinDirStat, it can be good for tracking down files, or finding that 4GB of wasted space that you can clear up. 

Can I also check that the other Origin downloads were separate ones? I want to see if this issue occurs with a game which doesn't have a Steam version. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 26 (16,508 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_David

Okay, I used the Origin > Application Settings > Advanced thing you said and it said the application was under C:\Program Files (86)\Origin Games and the game installers are under C:\ProgramData\Origin\DownloadCache if that helps.

And I'm not exactly sure what you meant when you asked if I could check that the other Origin downloads were separate ones <:P

Message 9 of 26 (16,499 Views)

EA DICE Team

@jpegJustice

So I think the issues that you're experiencing might still be related to having an Origin and Steam version of the game. For example, the Steam version of Dragon Age: Origins is not compatible with the Origin DLC. So for the Steam version of Mass Effect all DLC would have to be downloaded and installed via the Bioware Social website. The Origin DLC might be incompatible or give errors.

If you keep struggling with getting the content to work then I would recommend to contact our EA Advisors via EA Help. They will be able to review your game license to see if we can update it to an Origin one. In which case you should have no problem downloading the DLC.

Below you can find more information on navigating our website:

Start with selecting your country of residence to setup your contact. If your country isn't listed you should select either United States or United Kingdom.

Country.PNG

Now follow the numbered steps as shown in the picture. If you are unable to login you will also be able to create an anonymous case at this point.

Login.PNG

• The final page doesn't load? press F5 on your keyboard to reload the page or try another browser.
  • You get no contact options? you are most likely trying to contact the selected channel outside of operating hours.
  • Your country has no phone number? use a voIP program such as Skype to contact our UK channel via +44 203 0141818.

I hope this gets it sorted for you. But if you have any further questions or updates then feel free to reach out to us again.

Message 10 of 26 (21,247 Views)