2-Step Authentication Setup Not Working

by ez1ollie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

2-Step Authentication Setup Not Working

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I've scanned the QR code to setup the 2-Step authentication on Origin with Google Authenticator, but the scan is saying the QR code is invalid. Is there a solution to this?

Here's what the app says when I scan the code

Invalid barcode

The barcode '(barcode url here)' is not a valid authentication token barcode.

Try again

Message 1 of 9 (7,965 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: 2-Step Authentication Setup Not Working

★★ Novice

Never mind I attempted to set it up again and I realized I was scanning a QR code that directs you app "Google Authenticator" so that you can begin the process. If you already have the app you're supposed to click on "continue" and then a new QR code appears and that one is the one that allows you set up the 2-step authentication.

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (8,370 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

@ez1ollie

It sounds like your are improperly reading the QR code, or that it can't be read. This could depend on which app you are using to scan QR codes. I would suggest to give that a look.

Message 2 of 9 (7,928 Views)

★★ Novice

I have attempted to scan the QR code some 20+ times and they all have the same result. The problem may lie within the QR code and the iPhone's ability to decipher it. The app I'm using is the one that EA Origin recommends to use, Google Authenticator.

Message 3 of 9 (7,918 Views)

EA DICE Team

@ez1ollie

If the problem is due to the Google Authenticator app then you can visit their help page to get the app working on your device:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1066447?hl=en

Message 4 of 9 (7,908 Views)

★★ Novice

I've used Google Authenticator for 2-step authentication on other services, it's only EA Origin that is giving me problems. I even tried using a different authenticator app, and I got the same results. I believe the problem lies within EA Origin's QR code.

Someone else should attempt to scan the QR code with an iPhone and see if the same results are produced.

Message 5 of 9 (7,900 Views)

★★ Novice

Never mind I attempted to set it up again and I realized I was scanning a QR code that directs you app "Google Authenticator" so that you can begin the process. If you already have the app you're supposed to click on "continue" and then a new QR code appears and that one is the one that allows you set up the 2-step authentication.

Message 6 of 9 (8,371 Views)

EA DICE Team

@ez1ollie

Problem solved. Thanks for letting us know!

Message 7 of 9 (7,873 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@ez1ollie I have literally no idea why they thought a scannable picture of a broken link on the first bit would be a good idea, jesus.
Message 8 of 9 (5,234 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Hemmels as this thread is a number of years old I'mn locking it.

If you are having an issue then please create a new thread with as much info as possible.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 9 of 9 (5,207 Views)