Re: Why do I keep getting random EA security code texts?

by Coopster2306

Original Post

★★★ Novice

Same thing is happening to me..... i believe a year or more ago when this happened I believe it ended up being Russian hacks that got ahold of my origin account. No offense but I have never liked Origin for this very reason. ANd now here its happening again. Frown

How come Xbox live doesn't have this problem, or steam, or any of the others? Sure seems like an area in which EA is running at sub par... and here I thought for sure we spent enough money with you so that things should be rock solid. Then again, it is called the root of all evil for a reason. lol

Message 11 of 37 (125,454 Views)

Russian Text

★ Apprentice

Seems like every week, I receive a text from EA. It starts off in Russian, followed EA, and ends with a code, which I'm guessing is a security code.

What is this text about?

Message 12 of 37 (36,067 Views)

Re: Russian Text

Champion (Retired)

Hey there @Krispy_Assassinx

I have a theory: Someone is trying to fish your account's information. It's a possibility that someone is just trying to use the password recovery function and that would send spam your way. But the code you're getting could also be the verification code you'd get when trying to change your account's settings.. Hence, in the worst case, it sounds like someone in Russian region is actually logged in to your account, and is trying to change your account's settings. But due to you having verification enabled, they're unable to change any of your settings without your verification, hence the verification codes you're getting now as they're trying to change your stuff.

What I would do first of all is that I'd check your Security settings.

- Click your account name with the little drop arrow from the top right of this page, click EA Account, and there click the Security-tab.

- Alternatively, from your Origin client, click "Origin" from the top left, then click "EA Account and Billing..." , then click the Security-tab.

- Or just try if this direct link to the page works: https://myaccount.ea.com/cp-ui/security/index

From there under Account Security, you can change your Security Question and Password if you click Edit. You can try do this and see if this Security Question actually is the one you've put in place. Cause the chances are that this is the backdoor the hacker is trying to use. Most likely they've been able to crack the Security Question and have changed it to something of their own instead. So try to change it back to the one you would like to have and the hacker loses their backdoor to your account and that should stop the spam.

If the Security Question clearly has been changed (For example: It reads something in Russian), and you are unable to change it on your own, please reach out to an EA Advisor at the EA Support and ask them to change it back for you.

Here is a link to the support: https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

On that page, from the top right, choose your region and make sure you're logged in. Then for the Case Information, choose "Origin" as your 'game or service' , PC/MAC whichever platform you're using, "Manage my account" as your 'Topic', and "Hacked account" as your 'Issue' . Choose whether you're using Origin 9 or 10 and a blue button with "Select contact option" appears. Click it.

Alternatively you can choose "Manage account details" instead of "Hacked account". Then choose for the "What security settings are you trying to setup or change?" question as an answer "I want to change my security question" and for the second question that you're having an issue that blocks you from changing the setting on your own. This should get you to the "Select contact option" part as well.

The topic/issue and your region will affect the support choices given to you. If you are not given the choice to a Live chat or a call, please change the region to something else like the UK or the US. Just be mindful that each support region follows their own language, and their own work hours. If the support page does not load right, the chat doesn't work or the like, please try out the following:

• Disable ad blockers
  • Disable pop-up blockers
  • Disable no-script
  • Allow cookies on EA Help
  • Press F5 to refresh the page
  • Clear the browser cache
  • Try another browser

If you need any further help contacting the support, check this link: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/How-to-contact-an-Advisor-via-EA-Help/td-p/5650100

Since chances are that your account has at least been attempted to be hacked, please make sure to go through this link as well in order to ensure your account is being secured properly: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/i-think-somebody-hacked-my-origin-account-what-can-i-do-now/

And here's an extra link about how to best maintain your account security in the future as well: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/how-to-maintain-account-security/

Good luck !

Message 13 of 37 (40,236 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just got a security code in russian sent to my phone at 3am... checked my account 5 mins later and thankfully everything is good. I better not have gotten hacked when i wake up tomorrow :/

Message 14 of 37 (120,459 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Same here
Message 15 of 37 (120,442 Views)

Community Manager

@bananaman439@FordCrees Hi, such activity suggests that someone is attempting to take action against your account. Be sure to update your details and secure any other accounts that share login details with Origin. 

You can find a bit more info here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/how-to-maintain-account-security/

Thanks for the posts and for being diligent with your account security. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 16 of 37 (219,318 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I must have had 10 of these messages this week all in russion, with a code. Keep blocking the number then get ome sent from a different one. Its doing my head in 😬
Message 17 of 37 (118,696 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I keep getting these stupid verification text messages in Russian at all hours.

1125am

707pm

845pm

553am

327pm

343pm

Get your * together EA.

Message 18 of 37 (118,544 Views)

★★★ Novice
What is EA doing to fix this? I've been getting these texts for 2 months. Someone is trying to hack into our accounts and you just post the same answers to everyone's question. How about telling us what EA is doing to stop this from happening.
Message 19 of 37 (22,075 Views)

Community Manager

As above, if you keep getting such attempts, it's wise to change all your EA account details (email, password, even name) as well as any shared accounts, as it sounds like your account has been targeted. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 20 of 37 (22,074 Views)