"Failed to detect supported video card"

by Kadesmash

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

"Failed to detect supported video card"

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

And it's getting frustrating. I frigured reinstalling would work but apparently not.

I have these specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium

12 gigs DDR3 Ram

Intel 3rd gen i7 processor

Nvideo GTX Geforce 660m video card with 2 gigs dedicated ram

I'm encountering an error: "Failed to detect supported video card" Which I knows is a fat freaking lie, because it was working just fine before. I had encountered a viral problem, wiped my hard drive, reinstalled everything, all my other games are working. I adjusted the screen resolution or something, Dragon Age crashed, and now says.. this failed to detect garbage.

I don't need people pointing out the obvious (Herp derp it's not working), I need a fix. Wtf will FIX it. Not links to people with the same issue, I need a **bleep** fix. Not someone poking fun of my system specs, I need a **bleep** fix.

Uninstalling and reinstalling did not work, yes my computer has been restarted (And shut off) since the mess started. Yes the virus is gone and dealt with.

Someone actually HELP me.

Message 1 of 15 (39,211 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: not working!

★★★★★ Novice

Because no one was helpful I figured it out myself. Gorath no one want's your opinion on Asus or laptops. I wanted a fix not some conspiracy nut with this, "They only give you half the product and charge you full price!" crap.

So if anyone else has this problem, or might later have this problem here's what I did.

I went into my start menu, under games, right clicked Dragon Age: Origins and hit configuration. I adjusted the resolution as needed, saved changes and closed out of that window.

On Origin's game client I opened up Dragon Age Origins and TADA. Problem solved.

So I hope this helps someone else. Because I sure as hell know how much of a pain it was not to get any answers myself.

View in thread

Message 3 of 15 (46,966 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert
Message 2 of 15 (39,113 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Because no one was helpful I figured it out myself. Gorath no one want's your opinion on Asus or laptops. I wanted a fix not some conspiracy nut with this, "They only give you half the product and charge you full price!" crap.

So if anyone else has this problem, or might later have this problem here's what I did.

I went into my start menu, under games, right clicked Dragon Age: Origins and hit configuration. I adjusted the resolution as needed, saved changes and closed out of that window.

On Origin's game client I opened up Dragon Age Origins and TADA. Problem solved.

So I hope this helps someone else. Because I sure as hell know how much of a pain it was not to get any answers myself.

Message 3 of 15 (46,967 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks a bunch dude, i was having this issue and was stumped, but now it's fixed. Thanks :D

Message 4 of 15 (37,672 Views)

Re: "Failed to detect supported video card"

★★★ Newbie

I also had this issue but couldn't get to the configuration in the way stated above.  What I did is go into your program files, into Origin Games folder, then into Dragon Age folder, then into the bin_ship folder.  In that folder there should be a DAOriginsConfig application.  Open that application and you can change your video settings there.  Hope this helps for some people as well!

Message 5 of 15 (34,606 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Can you help me out? What exactly did you do in the Config App?

Message 6 of 15 (33,514 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks for sharing the solution! I'm sure it's come in handy for lots of folks like myself.

Message 7 of 15 (32,528 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Slightly old thread but wanted to add some info in case others searched this.  I think the most important thing is to set the aspect ratio to one that matches your monitor.  Setting your native resolution is good too but I think the aspect ratio is the key change.

Message 8 of 15 (30,365 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am still failing to get the game to run. I open the game go to config, have tried all 3 resolutions available but still to no i avail. I will try to go the start menu way and try it out. But any suggestions on the res i can config to. i have an acer laptop, 4gram, i core 5 processor and integrated graphics.

Message 9 of 15 (30,015 Views)

★ Novice

Okay, so, I did what you said and went to the lowest resolution I can put it to which would be 800 x 600 yet when I went to play the game, it still said it didn't detect a supported video card. I am using DA2 instead of Origins so I don't know if that may be affecting it or not. 

Message 10 of 15 (28,168 Views)