Witch hunt ending, no plot summary flag for importing into DA2 on X360

by iFail_v_B34STLY

Original Post

Witch hunt ending, no plot summary flag for importing into DA2 on X360

★★★ Novice

*SPOILERS FOR WH DLC*

Hey,
so DA:I is coming out soon and I wanted to do a full playthrough of the Dragon Age games, but I'm having a problem where when I go to import my witch hunt save into DA2, I dont get a flag (in plot summary of that save... eg Let morrigan escape through the portal/followed morrigan into portal etc) for the end of witch hunt. It autosaves after I have completed witch hunt but it still wont update when importing, I thought this was supposed to be fixed on 360 in the latest patch? Any help?
Thanks.

Message 1 of 11 (5,646 Views)

Re: Witch hunt ending, no plot summary flag for importing into DA2 on X360

★★★ Novice

I too have this problem. I replayed the dlc, ending in all possible options (i.e letting her go/killing her/going with her) and the plot flags still don't seem to tranfer to DA2. From what I've gathered on forums, its a bug not planned to be fixed or that the plot flags are there but they just aren't appearing.

Message 2 of 11 (5,591 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

While potentially incredibly annoying for your DA2 playthorough, BioWare resolved this problem for Inquisition:

They'll be implementing the "Dragon Age Keep" as the way to establish the world-state at game start. 

Here's an article about it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon Age: Inquisition: how you'll "transfer" your Origins and DA2 saves

New Dragon Age: Keep app allows players to shape world ahead of release

Posted on Wednesday 28-Aug-2013 8:28 AM PDT   By Edwin Evans-Thirlwell, Deputy Editor for OXM

BioWare has announced Dragon Age Keep, a web application that - wait, come back! It's not just the usual browser-based marketing gimmick. Keep allows you to preconfigure the world of Dragon Age: Inquisition to reflect the choices you made in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2, in lieu of a more traditional save transfer option which is, I assume, impossible for technical reasons.

"It will initially be accessed through the web and there are more platforms planned," executive producer Mark Darrah explained to IGN. The app allows you to choose which companions your Grey Warden favoured in Origins, and who Dragon Age 2's Hawke romanced, among other things.

Warning: watch out for series spoilers in the paragraph below.

"The consequences of your choices in the previous games will affect the state of your world in Inquisition," Darrah told the site. "It could be something huge, something like what happened with Morrigan and the Dark ritual at the end of [Origins]: Did she have a child? Additionally, the game will also know and react to things like who is in charge of Ferelden."

This is obviously indirect confirmation that Hawke and the Grey Warden have a role to play in the new game's plot, though BioWare won't say anything further on the subject.

"Within the Keep, fans will be able to customize as much or as little about the world of Thedas as they wish," Darrah added. "You can change your choices to see all of the different opportunities in previous games. Once you start a new game, it will use the choices from the previous games from that moment."

This is good news if, like me, you seldom get to replay RPGs like Dragon Age, and thus miss out on all the optional outcomes.

It's also good news if you're worried BioWare might fudge up save importing, as was the case with Mass Effect 3. (Mind you, broken savegames can be rather mindblowing. :P )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, no worries!  Confusedmileywink:

Message 3 of 11 (5,580 Views)

★★★ Novice

That's really helpful but I was really hoping for a way to fix the witch import bug, that way I can actually play the DA2 game I want instead of waiting for Keep. DAK sounds great but I feel like I cheated if I just download the keep and then import that. Plus if the keep is anything like Mass Effect Genesis then there will still be cameos or choices left out as apposed to importing a saved character.

Message 4 of 11 (5,575 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Well

@Spagnolo1 wrote:

... feel like I cheated if I just download the keep and then import that.

You misunderstand.  It appears that there will be no direct "importing" of game saves. 

EVERYONE will have to build their world-state from scratch.

Either:

Use some kind of in-game "Choose one of the following DAO/DAA/WH summaries: [Default Human Warrior]  [Mercenary Dwarf Rogue]  [Kindly Elf Mage] ... [etc.], and one of the following DA2 summaries: [Mage Hunter]  [Arcane Defender] ... [etc.], mechanism, (DA2 already has exactly this, with three-or-four options)

or ;

Download the selections you stored in the Dragon Age Keep

Confusedmileywink:

Message 5 of 11 (5,571 Views)

★★★ Novice

Oh wow! Thanks t

@ThandalNLyman wrote:

Well

@Spagnolo1 wrote:

... feel like I cheated if I just download the keep and then import that.

You misunderstand.  It appears that there will be no direct "importing" of game saves. 

EVERYONE will have to build their world-state from scratch.

Either:

Use some kind of in-game "Choose one of the following DAO/DAA/WH summaries: [Default Human Warrior]  [Mercenary Dwarf Rogue]  [Kindly Elf Mage] ... [etc.], and one of the following DA2 summaries: [Mage Hunter]  [Arcane Defender] ... [etc.], mechanism, (DA2 already has exactly this, with three-or-four options)

or ;

Download the selections you stored in the Dragon Age Keep

Confusedmileywink:

hat makes me feel so much better. Does that mean, for example, I can import a game from witch hunt with missing plot flags, play through DA2 and then when keep is released, just tweek it so that everything I want to appear does?

Message 6 of 11 (5,562 Views)

★★★ Novice

I apologize about the weird cut off

Message 7 of 11 (5,561 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Spagnolo1 wrote:

Oh wow! Thanks

That makes me feel so much better. Does that mean, for example, I can import a game from witch hunt with missing plot flags, play through DA2 and then when keep is released, just tweek it so that everything I want to appear does?

Almost...  I don't believe will be any "importing of saves" into the Dragon Age Keep either.

When you log-in to the Keep, you will be presented with a series of questions about how things went in your playthrough of each of the games that matter; DAO (with, or without TSP, RtO, and WK), DAA, WH, and DA2.  A very detailed set of questions.  Basically eveything from the previous games that could have any impact on any possible event, scene, or dialogue as it is written in DA:I

So for example, if Kaitlyn, the girl in Redcliffe who was orphaned during the undead attacks at the beginning of the game, appears or is mentioned in DA:I, then you might see questions like:

"Did you save Redcliffe Village from the initial attack?"  (Yes / No)

"If you did, what did you do about Kaitlyn?" (Nothing / Returned Sword / Bought Sword / Took Sword)

...and so on.

Obviously there will be some default world-state values for all these, and I'll bet you won't have to supply answers for every single one (unless you want to.)

Message 8 of 11 (5,541 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you! It brings a lof of peace to my mind knowing the import bugs won't affect DAI. I still wish something could be done about the WH import bug but I can live with Keep allowing me to make the world-state I want.

Message 9 of 11 (5,537 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I double checked the most authoritative sources I know on this topic, (since no one involved with the current beta can speak publically.)

Here's what they had to say...

Extract from Mark Darrah's BioWare Blog entry from Aug 2013, announcing the Dragon Age Keep:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"What about actually importing your save games? We are continuing to investigate ways in which save files from previous games could be used to populate the initial world state of the Dragon Age Keep. We’ll provide more information on this in the months to come.

An additional benefit offered by moving to the cloud is being able to fix issues in plot logic, which historically we have not been able to do because of client side complexity or platform holder limits. Under the hood, the Keep has a logic validator which ensures you’ll always have a valid world state free from errors and conflicts.

Choices in our games are immense, and on occasion subtly perceived.  In some cases, the consequences of decisions you’ve made in a past game won’t reveal themselves until some future story.  Handling all these permutations is complex. Really complex. Tracking all possible prerequisites and potential knock-ons, even just to create the simple acknowledgement of a choice is very detailed — and prone to error.  

As an example, an import from DAO to DA2 brought across something in the order of 600 different data points, most requiring complex logic solving to answer correctly the question of “how did the player settle this choice at the end of the game.  As a result, some current save imports are buggy, which is our fault, and something we’re committed to fixing. Permanently. The Keep allows us to do just that. Users of the Keep won’t have to suffer with these types of logic inconsistencies any longer."

(Emphasis added.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And there's: GamerMD83's Dec 2013 PAX Info interview with Fernando Melo about the Dragon Age Keep.

Bottom line: 

I think they're finding that actually importing saves from the previous games is really hard because of the inconsistencies that were allowed to creep in at various points, and they are NOT going to go back and reengineer the original games.  So maybe you'll be able to "import and tweak", but I doubt it.

Message 10 of 11 (5,530 Views)