Re: Solution and question for frequent random crashes

by StarSword-C

Original Post

Solution and question for frequent random crashes

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

So I wanted to replay Origins, Awakening, and Witch Hunt so I could have a good save to carry over to 2 and Inquisition. Problem is, after installing it on my current machine (Win 10, i7-6700k, GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB RAM), it would invariably crash the moment I tried to do anything. I finally found a solution on the Steam Community for the game. The crashes are ​apparently due to trying to run the game on a multicore system, and to solve it you have to start the game with the Windows console and force its affinity to a single core. The command is:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 DAOrigins.exe

My question is, is there any way to do a similar trick using command line arguments in the Origin client?

Message 1 of 3 (478 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having a similar issue - thought my DAO Ultimate edition is stored on my "D" drive not my "C".

The current command line loos like this:

"D:\Games\Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition\Dragon Age Origins\bin_ship\DAOrigins.exe"

Do you know how I would alter it to correct the random shut down error?

Thanks for your time.

Message 2 of 3 (459 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Ovaltinethuum wrote:

I'm having a similar issue - thought my DAO Ultimate edition is stored on my "D" drive not my "C".

The current command line loos like this:

"D:\Games\Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition\Dragon Age Origins\bin_ship\DAOrigins.exe"

Do you know how I would alter it to correct the random shut down error?

Thanks for your time.

Well, the solution I posted in the OP does work, my only objection is it bypasses Origin's functionality (which I can mostly take or leave, but the cloud save is useful).  Here's how to do it without manually opening the command line every time:

1. Go to Desktop.
  2. Right-click in a blank area. Go to New -> Shortcut. On Win 10 this opens a "new shortcut" wizard.
  3. Paste the following into the "location of the item" line: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 DAOrigins.exe
  4. For "Name of Shortcut", type in Dragon Age: Origins.  Click OK.
  5. Optional: Right-click the shortcut and hit Properties.  Click Change Icon and navigate to DAOrigins.exe.  You'll be able to make the shortcut use DAO's icon.
Message 3 of 3 (453 Views)