Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Solution and question for frequent random crashes

by Ovaltinethuum

Original Post

Solution and question for frequent random crashes

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So I wanted to replay Origins, Awakening, and Witch Hunt so I could have a good save to carry over to 2 and Inquisition. Problem is, after installing it on my current machine (Win 10, i7-6700k, GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB RAM), it would invariably crash the moment I tried to do anything. I finally found a solution on the Steam Community for the game. The crashes are ​apparently due to trying to run the game on a multicore system, and to solve it you have to start the game with the Windows console and force its affinity to a single core. The command is:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 DAOrigins.exe

My question is, is there any way to do a similar trick using command line arguments in the Origin client?

Message 1 of 3 (297 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Newbie

I'm having a similar issue - thought my DAO Ultimate edition is stored on my "D" drive not my "C".

The current command line loos like this:

"D:\Games\Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition\Dragon Age Origins\bin_ship\DAOrigins.exe"

Do you know how I would alter it to correct the random shut down error?

Thanks for your time.

Message 2 of 3 (278 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Ovaltinethuum wrote:

I'm having a similar issue - thought my DAO Ultimate edition is stored on my "D" drive not my "C".

The current command line loos like this:

"D:\Games\Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition\Dragon Age Origins\bin_ship\DAOrigins.exe"

Do you know how I would alter it to correct the random shut down error?

Thanks for your time.

Well, the solution I posted in the OP does work, my only objection is it bypasses Origin's functionality (which I can mostly take or leave, but the cloud save is useful).  Here's how to do it without manually opening the command line every time:

1. Go to Desktop.
  2. Right-click in a blank area. Go to New -> Shortcut. On Win 10 this opens a "new shortcut" wizard.
  3. Paste the following into the "location of the item" line: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 DAOrigins.exe
  4. For "Name of Shortcut", type in Dragon Age: Origins.  Click OK.
  5. Optional: Right-click the shortcut and hit Properties.  Click Change Icon and navigate to DAOrigins.exe.  You'll be able to make the shortcut use DAO's icon.
Message 3 of 3 (272 Views)
dai-dragon

How to slay monsters and make friends

BioWare's helpful guide for tackling Dragon Age: Inquisition Mulitplayer

View More

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help