Re: Save files and DLC Problem - Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

by Goafar

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Old Report] Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition Save file and DLC Problem

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I recently tidied up my My Documents folder and, in the process, moved the Dragon Age folder to a different folder.  When I played dragon age after this all my DLC and save files were no longer in the game. The folder hasn't been damaged or deleted, just moved. I believe that the problem  is that the game can no longer find the files. Please can someone tell me how to get it to locate them. Thanks

Message 1 of 9 (4,870 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Game requires the "\Characters\saves" folders to be under "\<user's documents>\BioWare\Dragon Age\..."

So the short answer to your issue is: move the folders back.

(The longer answer would be for you to create a Windows "symbolic link" to the new folder location, but if that phrase is unfamiliar I don't recommend trying it.)

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (5,260 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Game requires the "\Characters\saves" folders to be under "\<user's documents>\BioWare\Dragon Age\..."

So the short answer to your issue is: move the folders back.

(The longer answer would be for you to create a Windows "symbolic link" to the new folder location, but if that phrase is unfamiliar I don't recommend trying it.)

Message 2 of 9 (5,261 Views)

Dragon Age Origins saved data not appearing in game

★★★ Newbie

So I've played Dragon Age for about 10 hours. Today I decided I was going to move my Bioware folder from documents to downloads. After I did this, the next time I entered the game it acted like I was playing it for the first time, so it did not have any of my characters or DLC that I had installed. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

Message 3 of 9 (4,830 Views)

★★ Novice

I know you wrote this a few years ago, but I wonder if you might help me.

I have NO character file with save file at all in the directory.

I cannot save my game at all.

In desperation I am willing to add these missing files.

Is this feasible.

Old Gamer Goafar

Message 4 of 9 (3,276 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Goafar;  I really don't understand.  If you installed the game normally, and are playing on a PC, there is literally no way the appropriate folders and files weren't created.  Did you change something after installation?

Might help to tell us what kind of install you did:  Retail disc?  EA/Origin?  Steam?  GOG?  Other?

Message 5 of 9 (3,216 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi

i installed with Origin download.

luckily I was able to find the folders and previous saved games in my external backup, (backups worth their weight in gold).

Still can’t save though. I might bring out one of my other PCs and use it in legacy mode as it appears that new machines and new operating systems are the death of good old Dragon Age Origin.

Thank you so much for getting back to me, that was very decent.

Goafar

Message 6 of 9 (3,177 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Goafar; DAO runs perfectly on a brand new machine.  It runs perfectly (although slower) on an old WinXP machine.  It runs perfectly on any machine with at least the "recommended" hardware specs.  I know, I've played it on every generation from a Pentium with a GT-240, to an i7 with a GTX-1060.

Being unable to Save points to a very different problem.  Can you please describe your rig and your installation process?

Message 7 of 9 (3,142 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is 100% how to fix it but you do have to start from lvl 1 sry any ways... File Explorer>Documents>BioWare>Dragon Age>Characters>"this is where you should see your old saves from xbox/ps3 at delete every thing in this folder" done! make sure to restart up the dragon age origins game

this is for and might work for others... for windows 10 xbox game pass EA App Dragon age origins not saveing 100% Fix

if all else fails try makeing a new xbox or steam account and start from lvl 1

Message 8 of 9 (615 Views)

Community Manager

Hey Everyone

As this thread is a bit old at this point, things have changed and been updated, we are going to lock this down so that we can prevent any necro-posting.

If you run into any further issues please create a new thread or add your information to an existing thread so that we can begin tracking accordingly!

Cheers!

EA_ShepardAHQ

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 9 of 9 (373 Views)