Re: Problem saving in DA:O after updating from win7 to win10

by VAxPUNK

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Problem saving in DA:O after updating from win7 to win10

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I updated my sistem from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro and then I started having a problem with dragon age origins while the day before everything worked well.

The major issue is that now if I save my current game and try to load it I can't see the save, like the game didn't save anything, so I can't do a new save now even if I see all the old saves that I've done with windows 7.
Another problem is that if I enter the game configuration from the game launcher I encounter a runtime error saying "this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way".

If anyone know how to fix this please help me!!

Message 1 of 16 (7,410 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So I fixed my problem. I had installed DA:O via steam.

I uninstalled it, and re-installed via my origin account, and now works perfectly.

Then I bought the ultimate edition for all the add-ons anyway.

View in thread

Message 12 of 16 (17,311 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

I have the exact same issue after upgrading to windows 10 pro.   game will not save any more.

Message 2 of 16 (7,385 Views)

Hero

I tried to replicate the issue, but it's working fine on my Windows 10 PC.

If you go to the save folder in Windows, can you see the new save files there, or only the old ones? The saves should be stored under 'Documents - BioWare - Dragon Age - Characters - <character name> - save'.

Is it also possible that the game duplicated your character and that the new save file is stored under a different character profile with the same name?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 16 (7,370 Views)

★★ Novice

I was also having an issue. Started new game after upgrading to Win10. Created different character than first playthrough. Played for awhile, saved and quit. When I went to resume game, it started a game from years ago. Went to load screen, and new save was not there. Tried deleting old saves from game menu, but would not delete. Went into save folder and deleted old saves from there, they are no longer available. Restarted game, played for a bit, saved game, no save file, either in game or in save folder. Any help would be appreciated

Message 4 of 16 (7,351 Views)

★★ Novice

Deleted all Dragon age files and folders, re-installed game. Started a new game and tried to save. Does not work. Looked in the "documents" folder Bioware-Dragonage- Characters. characters folder not there after re-install.

The in game save says it saved, but evidently it doesn't know where it saved it to.

Message 5 of 16 (7,340 Views)

★★ Novice

Working, the problem was with permissions on the Bioware folder.

Message 6 of 16 (7,333 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I tried taking ownership of the BioWare folder after upgrade, but it still refuses to save.

Message 7 of 16 (7,279 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Having the same problem characters folder does not exist. I tried to create the folder but it did not help Ea please respond
Message 8 of 16 (7,211 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The folder permissions can get wonky after upgrading Windows. Go to the My Documents folder and find the Bioware folder. Right-click on it and choose Properties.

Click on the Security tab, then where it says "To change permissions, click Edit" ... TOTALLY CLICK EDIT

Then for your 'HomeUsers' (which should be your account), check the box for "Full Control" and then click Apply and OK.

Restart the game and it should let you save/load.

Message 9 of 16 (7,195 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Tried this, didn't work. For some reason is also read only and will not let me remove read only status, I don't know if this is the problem.

Message 10 of 16 (7,069 Views)