Re: Prevent Origin from updating game (Dragon Age Origins)

by driftavalii

Original Post

Prevent Origin from updating game (Dragon Age Origins)

★★★★ Novice

Is it possible to tell the Origin PC client to not update a specific game?

The reason I am asking this is I am having a problem with Origin updating Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition.  I purchased this game on Steam.  I used the Steam key to also register it on Origin to take advantage of the game save sync feature.  A few days ago, Origin downloaded an update for this game.  I approved it to be installed.  However, after it installed, it completely broke the game.  It no longer worked through Steam, and Origin kept prompting for a key when I tried to start the game.  The key that I own was not working.

Luckily, I was able to repair the game through the Steam client and all is working again.  But Origin keeps trying to update this game.  I keep cancelling the update, but it would be great to have a way to tell Origin to not update the game.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10 (15,986 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm not on Steam, but I ended up with this problem too.  I had downloaded some DLC for ME2 and ALL of my EA titles stopped working.  So far DAO Ultimate and ME1 are still broke and nothing I do gets them to work anymore.

Message 2 of 10 (15,939 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Parts of EA are aware of the screwup, although this is my own first read of it affecting a game other than Dragon Age, for which you should refer to this thread:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Origins/Been-playing-DA-O-fine-for-months-today-i-get-the-messag...

It is an Origin system problem, so technically that linked thread probably could be in here as easily as where it is.

Anyway, your messages, and those others, are all here on Answers HQ, instead of Help Center, and no amount of complaining in here will affect anything there.  This is a gamer to gamer self-help website, and there doesn't seem to be any fix yet that an individual gamer can attempt. 

Message 3 of 10 (15,933 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for pointing out that other thread.  I didn't realize it was a game-specific issue.

I guess I am lucky that I had this game originally purchased through Steam.  It appears that Steam was able to fix the game after it got screwed up by the update.

I actually like Origin and appreciate the competition it brings to the PC gaming platform.  And for the most part, I have not had any serious issues with Origin.  But incidents like these just make it very obvious that Steam is still far ahead in stability and features.  I hope this gets resolved quickly.

Message 4 of 10 (15,930 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yes I too would like a way to prevent this in the future. Though the game seems now fine, I took over 30hrs re-downloading it, and was unable to play for 3 days. My internet becomes all, but unusable while its downloading too.

Makes sense why we would want a way to stop the Origin updates in the future. I'd like to be able to play teh game like we used to in the good old days. You buy the game. You download the game. You enter the code to prove it's yours. You play the game.  It's nice to have the game associated with Origin if it's a digital download, so you can never lose it, but aside from that....

Message 5 of 10 (15,921 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

The only workaround I've found so far is a cracked.exe. I've been using one on my copy of DA: O - which I bought legitimately - and since then not a problem. Might be worth trying on other games too. 

Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 10 (15,905 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

You can disable auto game updates within the Origin settings, but you cannot change the option for each individual game. I think you can manually download updates for the other games, though. I would choose to download game and client updates manually. That way, when an update is released, then I can research and find out if the update is safe before installing it.

I was able to fix my DAO installation by uninstalling and restoring the backed up game folder from my external hard drive, then applying the 1.05 patch.

Message 7 of 10 (15,896 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This is annoying me a lot, everytime that I go onto origin it tries to download updates for my STEAM version of Dragon Age, I have to manually cancel about 10 downloads otherwise they will break the game and I will not be able to play it through steam. I set Origin to not update games automatically but now I have to manually check for updates...

Message 8 of 10 (15,333 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yes, you can manually choose to update a Game if you have Auto Update disable.

To manually update a game, left click on a game icon image in the Origin Client and choose check for update. If it finds one it will then download and apply it.

The only problem with this that I know of is with Sims 4. Even with auto updates turn off, it still auto checks for updates and if it detects one, flags the game and will not let you play until it is installed.

Message 9 of 10 (11,703 Views)

★★★ Newbie

For me My origin wants to update So i cant play battlefront since im 9 my dad is at work and he wont give me his password to accept the update so i cant play battlefront and stream jakku on youtube help!

Message 10 of 10 (11,197 Views)