Re: Origins and DLC crash. HELP!

by Green_Reaver82

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origins and DLC crash. HELP!

★★★★ Novice

Well, just got a new gaming machine. It's over qualified for a lot of these old games and like others out there I'm stuck just like everyone else. I've tried uninstall/re-install tactic, changing resolutions, changing administrator settings, changing affinity, compatibility, verifying files (steam download), driver updates, changing firewall settings, and I can't recall what else at the moment. I downloaded both Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition from Steam client downloader. My machine has:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Driver: 417.22

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.2GHz

7.86 GB RAM

1920 x 1080, 60Hz

Downloaded both origins and DLC from Steam (as I mentioned earlier).

I even tried changing settings in the local file folders and the launcher itself with basically the same results. I wish I could get more than 1 problem fixed in a thread like this to get my level 27 warrior from my other computer but, I need to tweak the storyline anyway :P. Thanks to whomever helps with the fixes!

Message 1 of 9 (1,176 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice

So... not really a tech support forum since none of them really ever show up. I believe I discovered a fix for my game and hope that anyone else that may be pulling their hair out over any graphics issue sees this (and may have the same Nvidia card I mentioned in previous comments) so they came get back to having fun.

I skimmed through a few YouTube videos and found something that is allowing me to play! It takes about 10 minutes... or depending on your download speed to do this fix. If you follow these two videos below you should be able to get your graphics challenges under control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BezddIWVM0 (important video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIOazT1BxU&t=180s ( tip for Win10)

The important video has information to go to two different sites and is very easy even though it is 3 years old. Just watch it and it should help no matter where you get your games. The OP in the video uses Origin and I use Steam... 

View in thread

Message 9 of 9 (1,031 Views)

All Replies

Hero

When does the crash occur?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 9 (1,156 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi, Fred the crash occurs when attempting to enter the Ostagar camp (about 90% of the way across the bridge). I did manage to log into my elf rogue an greet/steal from most every character in Ostagar and make it through about half of the Korcari Wilds before I crashed in an unknown spot. 

Message 3 of 9 (1,151 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I hate myself for forgetting this... I'm using Windows 10...

Message 4 of 9 (1,139 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@Green_Reaver82 These particular crashes are usually fixed by running a utility that allows the game to address more than 2GB of memory on 64-bit systems. You can download it from here - https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371 - copy the executable into the bin_ship folder in your game installation directory (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games), then run it and apply to daorigins.exe, test and see if it works. Note that if you ever use the repair option in Origin this hack will get disabled.
Message 5 of 9 (1,120 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@JanePhoenix wrote:
@Green_Reaver82These particular crashes are usually fixed by running a utility that allows the game to address more than 2GB of memory on 64-bit systems. You can download it from here - https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371 - copy the executable into the bin_ship folder in your game installation directory (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games), then run it and apply to daorigins.exe, test and see if it works. Note that if you ever use the repair option in Origin this hack will get disabled.

Thank you, I will give this a try. So far, every attempt to change settings has barely changed anything. 

Changed affinity to 1 CPU

Tried running as administrator

Deleted PhysX files and other files and verified the game (steam client)

Tried using the troubleshooter

Changed options in the launcher configuration contents menu

**Changed compatibility--running it as Windows7 actually got the most progress but, still crash at the bridge in Ostagar.

Message 6 of 9 (1,103 Views)

★★★★ Novice

That 4gb patch did not seem to work. I moved it to the bin_ship in the local files, applied it to daorigins.exe, didn't work. 

Message 7 of 9 (1,090 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Slight progress in keeping the game running... I am a bit embarrassed but, I never made any changes to the start-up/game select screen until a couple of days ago. I decided to turn all graphics down to minimum settings and got to play for a little over an hour (completed Koraci Wilds area and wandered through Ostagar too). I did a number of things to get to this point and still working the problem:

Deleted my most current video drivers (from Nvidia Experience) > Downloaded drivers from the online site--www.geforce.com/drivers. This seemed to be the biggest help.

ALT+Tab > Open Task manager > Set affinity for DAO launcher to CPU 01

> Open properties for DAO launcher >Compatibility to Win 8

Set all in-game video settings low

I welcome any and all other tips and tricks and even hope this helps some of us out there that are currently using Nvidia products as they always seem a bit sensitive/stubborn/restrictive. 

Message 8 of 9 (1,051 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So... not really a tech support forum since none of them really ever show up. I believe I discovered a fix for my game and hope that anyone else that may be pulling their hair out over any graphics issue sees this (and may have the same Nvidia card I mentioned in previous comments) so they came get back to having fun.

I skimmed through a few YouTube videos and found something that is allowing me to play! It takes about 10 minutes... or depending on your download speed to do this fix. If you follow these two videos below you should be able to get your graphics challenges under control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BezddIWVM0 (important video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIOazT1BxU&t=180s ( tip for Win10)

The important video has information to go to two different sites and is very easy even though it is 3 years old. Just watch it and it should help no matter where you get your games. The OP in the video uses Origin and I use Steam... 

Message 9 of 9 (1,032 Views)