Re: Origins Broke My DAO Mod list, again.

by ThandalNLyman

Original Post

Origins Broke My DAO Mod list, again.

★ Novice

Greetings. I'm having a bit of a tinsy little infuriating problem. I have two copies of Dragonage Origins, one through Origins and one through Steam. This was unintentional, but whatever. I have found though that if I have the Steam copy running and I try to open Origin to access another game, Origins starts downloading/updating its copy of DAO and now I have two copies on the PC.

Where this becomes an actual problem is my mods. As you can see in the picture I am attaching, right after Origins tries to update DAO, it breaks my mods. I use Nexus Mod Manager. Now, this has happened once before, and I was unable to find a fix. I want to be able to get my save back, but right now if I boot it up, it'll be toast. And I can't delete only one copy of DAO, apparently. Origins thinks I want to clean scrub the game from my PC, saves and all. Last time I had to do a clean uninstall. I don't want to have to do that again, so I come to this place seeking answers.

Message 1 of 7 (1,828 Views)

Hero

Disable automatic game updates in the Origin preferences and this should no longer happen.

@ninjadeadbeard wrote:
I want to be able to get my save back

Are you saying this damages your save files? Normally the save files should run fine once you've re-enabled all the missing mods. Even if you don't, you can sometimes manage to load your save after clicking the 'force load' button.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 7 (1,808 Views)

★ Novice

I'm saying that when I try to reload the game, it thinks my mods are missing and asks if I want to 'force load'. Which is bad since my mods will all be lost when I do so (this has happened before). In fact, it makes the game very unstable. Uninstalling and reinstalling the mods doesn't help. I'm going to have to restart the same playthrough, again.

Message 3 of 7 (1,799 Views)

★ Novice

UPDATE:

Tried to Force Load. Resuming from the last save crashes the game, but loading from before that seems okay, except the mods are gone even after reinstalling them.

Message 4 of 7 (1,792 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@ninjadeadbeard ;  First, The Nexus Mod Manager never supported DAO at all.  The Nexus' new "Vortex" manager purported to, originally, but it doesn't really.  And they've recently stopped claiming it does.

Second, it's really not EA's problem that you've got a non-standard installation environment, much less that your totally unofficial and unsupported mods don't work in it.

But leaving all that aside, uninstall the Steam copy and see if that doesn't fix things. Angel

And unless you explicitly told one of the installs to do something unusual, an "uninstall" (Steam or Origin) doesn't touch your "Saves" folder, and both versions use the same one!  So you won't lose those regardless of which version you keep.

[EDIT:  Personally, I recommend using the DAO ModManager (DAMM) to handle mods.]

Message 5 of 7 (1,772 Views)

★ Novice

@ThandalNLyman I mean, I’ve never had a problem using NMM before this. Also, it’s not EA’s problem, but for an older game this really is one of the few places I can get answers due to the sort of players hanging abouts. 

And Un/Reinstalling one or both versions doesn’t seem to change anything. I’m resigned to my fate at this point. Thank you for the response. 

Message 6 of 7 (1,753 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@ninjadeadbeard; For issues with mods, you're more likely to get help on a site dedicated to modding, (like "Nexus Mods") than here

Message 7 of 7 (1,744 Views)