[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition v1.04

Digital Download - Origin

i5 Dual Core 3.34ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX650

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I bought the game 2 days ago on Origin, its worked fine in that time, however now Everytime i try to "Resume" game or load a save file the game crashes and quits to desktop, giving me the wondows explorer box saying "Dragon Age Origins has stopped working, Windows is searching for a solution" a few people have mentioned starting a new character, saving, then loading your required save file, but that doesn't work for me, i have no idea what else to try, reinstalling hasn't worked.

UPDATE: Just found and updated to v1.05 but still having the same problem.

Message 1 of 36 (65,858 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My Game crashes and quits when loading a save

Community Manager (retired)

@BeliusCrescent wrote:

i5 Dual Core 3.34ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX650

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I bought the game 2 days ago on Origin, its worked fine in that time, however now Everytime i try to "Resume" game or load a save file the game crashes and quits to desktop, giving me the wondows explorer box saying "Dragon Age Origins has stopped working, Windows is searching for a solution" a few people have mentioned starting a new character, saving, then loading your required save file, but that doesn't work for me, i have no idea what else to try, reinstalling hasn't worked.

If installing the latest patch didn't resolve the issue make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX and the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your OS (especially updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features). 

Also make sure to update the graphic cards drivers OR to install a previous driver version if they are already up to date. 

Finally if you have any mods installed try to uninstall them to see if the issue persists.

View in thread

Message 2 of 36 (70,438 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

@BeliusCrescent wrote:

i5 Dual Core 3.34ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX650

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

If installing the latest patch didn't resolve the issue make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX and the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your OS (especially updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features). 

Also make sure to update the graphic cards drivers OR to install a previous driver version if they are already up to date. 

Finally if you have any mods installed try to uninstall them to see if the issue persists.

Message 2 of 36 (70,439 Views)

★★ Novice

This is an old post, But I'm going to ask here instead of posting the same question. My game is crashing when I am trying to load a save. I don't use mods, I am using the steam version but I also have it activated in origins. All my stuff is up to date :/. I don't know what to do...

Message 3 of 36 (62,187 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
Message 4 of 36 (62,178 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

When I saved my game It was working fine, I came back to try to re-load about 30mins later. Every time I tried, The game would show the loading screen then freeze and close. All I get is "Dragon age origins has stopped working" "windows will notify you if a solution is found". Then it closes as well and that's it. After 3 attempts It tells me Drago age origins tried to close "run time broker" in a weird way. 

I am on PC

System specs-

windows 10

GPU-GTX 1080

CPU-i7 7700k

Storage- 256SSD PCIe / 2tb Toshiba HDD

PSU- 750 watt 80+gold

mobo- Msi z270 a-pro

Ram- 16GB Corsair.

DX 12

I tried ofc just re-starting the game, I restarted my PC because that helped once. I checked for updates in windows and GeForce experience and checked if there was a pending update in steam. I have a standard set up one monitor, one GPU. I will add that steam and the game itself are stored on my Toshiba HDD. I don't use any mods, I play the game exactly as it came I do have the ultimate edition.

Message 5 of 36 (62,165 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@MrVanTasTic91;  Wonder if you're using AVG or Avast?

Also, I don't see a DXDiag report...

Message 6 of 36 (62,154 Views)

★★ Novice

I use Bitdefender plus Not sure what report you need Frown. I am using directx12 

Message 7 of 36 (62,147 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@MrVanTasTic91; Sorry, I had thought that this post was pinned here in the DAO forum (but It's in the Inquisition forum.)   It tells you what information is needed to assist in troubleshooting, and how to generate a DXDiag report.

Message 8 of 36 (62,132 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This has happened to me too, but was rare in occurrence.

As the old motto goes "Save Often".

Do not keep just one saved version of your game.  Keep saving in different save files as you progress through the game.

I had to resort to reloading a previous save file, and redo that portion of the game (resaving often till I pass where the game crashed).

Message 9 of 36 (62,052 Views)

★★★ Novice

Since this post comes up as second from the top on google for me and since it was never solved, here’s what I remember was a very good solution.

DA:O cannot properly handle using multiple cores and especially on anything that is more than 4 cores (so basically any i7 with 4 cores or any 8 cores and up) will make the game crash on loading because it tries to spend the resources between all the cores but the game doesn’t patch them together properly at all, if that makes sense. The solution is to start the game, pull up task manager, right click the dragon age process and go to details. This should bring you to the details tab. Right click daorigins.exe and click set affinity. Make sure you have CPU 0 and only one other cpu core selected. 0 is paramount as that is the one the game will always try to use. Anything else might cause a crash again. 

I forget how to set the game to start by default with that specific affinity but this should help you ply. It’s been working flawlessly for me with this method. Extra 2 minutes of work is a small price to pay

Message 10 of 36 (59,474 Views)