Frequent game crashing in Denerim

by Frostgnaw

Original Post

Frequent game crashing in Denerim

★★ Novice

I've played through the campaign for 42 hours now and just got to Denerim. The game has had maybe 1-2 crashes in that time. After doing a few things in Denerim, the game crashed. I thought nothing of it, whatever. I go to continue the game from my last save. I redid everything that I lost in the crash and then I saved my game in case it happened again. Lo and behold, it crashed. Tried to resume and the load screen crashed. Anything pertaining to Denerim makes the game crash. I'm running on a $1100 gaming desktop, so hardware isn't the issue. I figured with a virtual, downloadable version of the game, I could bypass all the * of disc skipping and freezing. Well apparently EA still never ceases to let the customer down. I really just wanted to blow through this game so I could continue the story in the next two games. Unless I can get a solution that will stop the game from crashing in the most important area, I'm kind of *. Just a heads up, after the second crash, I repaired the game files and it still crashed. Any help is appreciated as long as I don't have to deal with EA's bot customer support...

Message 1 of 10 (12,757 Views)

Re: Frequent game crashing in Denerim

★★★★★ Expert

a. Any mods installed?

b. Did the crash happen at the exact same spot? (If so, it's a symptom of a corrupted file. Try the "Repair" option from the EA/Origin client.)

c. The Denerim Market is a very complicated area of the game.  More reports of crashes there than anywhere else.  Be a bit slower about actions there and you may avoid the problem.

Message 2 of 10 (12,712 Views)

★★ Novice
1) no mods installed. I'm literally just trying to play through the game and the dlc's so I can start a game in da2.
2) I got out of Denerim and then the game crashed over by Redcliffe village. I've been quick saving often and I have a backup save in case I get caight in a game crash quick save spot. it's pretty pathetic that I can't run this game on modern tech without it crashing.
3) I have noticed using stinging swarm to travel the area faster lags the game pretty hard. I've never had an issue on my Xbox 360, so I don't see what the problem is here. maybe EA really is trash at making games. I know Battlefront 2 was a huge * up, because no one wants * loot boxes and pay to win... * aside, you sound like someone trained by EA's support team, but adapted to make you not sound like a slow learning robot. I'm surprised you didn't ask if I wanted to change my security question. haha, but seriously, these game issues are ridiculous. all I wanted to do was transfer my da2 campaign storyline to dai, but of course, that required Xbox live to do... I'd rather buy the games off Amazon, play through them, and then transfer my games for free.

- why would you sign a reply when it shows your name at the start.

if you are able to read, you should know how to respond or do the other two tasks available.

I'm not a volunteer, I just want to play my * game.

remember, EA only cares about money. I'll be as toxic as I want, so bite me :D

(lol)
Message 3 of 10 (12,702 Views)

★★ Novice
HAHA! that's golden. they censure swear words so people don't get triggered... cute.
Message 4 of 10 (12,701 Views)

People who post here alot often ask the same bs questions that official tech does simply because you wouldn't believe how many times the simple crap fixes the issue and people don't think to check it.  I know I answered the issue about DAI crashing on start caused by anti-virus about a million times it seems even though there was a sticky thread about it AND multiple other thread posts and still people came in asking the SAME QUESTION...so yeah, we often ask the basic bs questions..

If you are expecting a smooth transfer of your game play into DAI from this play, you are likely going to be disappointed.  The import system created for DAO was clunky using the now defunct Bioware website.  It is often easier to just copy down your choices on a piece of paper and then create a character with the name and class you want and enter the choices directly into the Keep.  They have made this harder but it is still the most reliable way to get it done.

As far as the language filter goes, EA bills itself as a family safe company meaning they make games for children to adults and since they can have children coming to the site, "adult" language or language that may be offensive is prohibited and mostly filtered out.  WW2 German group, cuss words, some insults, are filtered and those that aren't but used in direct insults between users will be manually edited by either a Hero or a Community Rep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 10 (12,673 Views)

★★ Novice
I was kind of hoping I could just import files from my computer... I don't understand why it's so complicated to just do the mechanics the game should be able to do. as for the crashing, it primarily happens in denerim, but I've used a backup save and quick saves to keep my progress going. as for multiple posts being made for the same issue, I think that's just EA's search engine being garbage. I search the issue and it gave me results that were inconclusive or just plain wrong, so I made a ticket.
Message 6 of 10 (12,662 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

The game was made in a time when multicore processors weren't as common. Many players got a reduced number of crashes in Denerim when setting core affinity for the game to a single core. I think this problem is more common in AMD CPUs, but you haven't mentioned your hardware specs, so it may be entirely irrelevant.

If you want a better chance at a solution, post a dxdiag report. "$1100 gaming desktop" is too vague. It's like calling the vet, request they diagnose it over the phone, and not telling whether your pet is a dog or a cat.

To clarify the import issue: The transfer from DAO to DA2 is very straightforward, but the world state for DAI has to be entered manually in the Keep for several reasons, including import bugs that they had in DA2.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 7 of 10 (12,639 Views)

★★ Novice

I should apologize for being a total d-bag. I was mad and frustrated that the game was crashing. Still no reason to be mean to you guys... anyway, I just played through the game and saved frequently (after every other fight or after every 10 minutes). It crashed a few times and I would just come back to the game after a 20 minute break and it would work fine. I don't really care to look into it further as I don't think I'll play through the game a second time. I appreciate the help and tips. Thank You.

Message 8 of 10 (12,436 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Still having this EXACT same issue in 2021 from a version I purchased on Steam.  I never had this issue before when I had the DVD version.  How can this not be solved??  How can EA continue to sell the game and NOT fix something that, looking at the forums, has been an issue from 2010??

Message 9 of 10 (1,571 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with Dragon Age: Origins, please make a new topic about your problems and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 10 of 10 (1,520 Views)